What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's wiring harness

Ah yes the harness......

I carefully deliberated this as well. I bought the harness and in my opinion you should see if you can get a diagram first to see the switches and placement that the harness allows for those switches. In my case I used a Cessna switch panel that will remove for maintenance, I did this after I had ordered the panel so the configuration of the harness was all wrong!

Very useful was the gauge of each wire and to each fixture or instrument. However I would STRONGLY recommend buying Bob Kukolls book and going over it first before any serious wiring begins, unless that is your trade.

So in a nutshell the wiring harness works and comes to you ready to go BUT does it fit your build and your mission profile.... Mine didnt.

Dave

I carefully deliberated this as well. I bought the harness and in my opinion you should see if you can get a diagram first to see the switches and placement that the harness allows for those switches. In my case I used a Cessna switch panel that will remove for maintenance, I did this after I had ordered the panel so the configuration of the harness was all wrong!

Very useful was the gauge of each wire and to each fixture or instrument. However I would STRONGLY recommend buying Bob Kukolls book and going over it first before any serious wiring begins, unless that is your trade.

So in a nutshell the wiring harness works and comes to you ready to go BUT does it fit your build and your mission profile.... Mine didnt.

Dave

Would agree 100% with above.
Also take EAA electronic class and build yourself.
Will enjoy it.

I considered the harness a starting point and it was helpful in that it included all of the real large cables that I needed FWF, and also provided a backbone for my wiring. The wires that are common to just about every airframe are there and labeled (p-leads, alt field, landing/taxi lights, etc).

I had plenty of extra wire and connectors on hand to make changes as needed. Keep in mind that I have a simple setup, used Van's wiring diagram and their switch/circuit breakers, and don't have an e-buss, dual batteries/alternators, VPX, or any of that other fancy stuff. I do have internal EFIS backup batteries that will keep me right side up should all else fail.

If you also are planning a relatively simple/stock system, the harness will save you some time, but make sure you understand it all and don't just blindly connect wires - every setup is a bit different.

Chris

I purchased the wiring harness, got a start on wiring, then purchased about 3x more wire and all the other stuff I really wanted. I did not follow the plan except for wire gauges, recommended breakers etc...

If you're wiring strictly to plan, buy the harness. If you're doing it different, you might as well buy your own materials.

Harness

I bought the harness early in my build. I did use some firewall forward wires but not the rest - except as a source of spare wire!

Back