What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gyros and aerobatics

hempy.4

Im looking to purchase a flying RV6 or 6A and see that most in my price range have AI and DG vacume systems. I will probably purchase EFIS as funds allow, but initially, why cant the gyros be unhooked, or vacume diverted away from the instruments so they will not be damaged. Im thinking I want to do aileron rolls and loops. Thanks for commenting.
Dan Hempy
Morral, Ohio
Sold 7A emp & wings-lost my patients

Hi Dan....

....we have vacuum instruments in our -6A and have over 360 hours on it with quite a few rolls, not so many loops and they're still OK. The Artificial horizon just does a roll during rolls and doesn't tumble but the DG does. Not sure how long they'll last though.

You could add a valve in line to keep the gyros still during aerobatics, I suppose.

Regards,

Thanks Pierre

Thats kinda what I was thinking, a three way valve, flip a switch that would divert vacume away from instruments. I didnt know if anyone has done this.
Thanks
Dan H.

I rebuilt my T/C after almost 1000 hours - too many rolls, I think. The bearings were shot. I haven't even reinstalled it yet, but will put a switch on that so I can turn it off. No sense in running it unless a cloud shows up.

I do have valves on the vacuum for the other gyros, but they take so dang long to spin down, it almost has to be thought of ahead of time, or before takeoff.

Tumble it, I dare ya!

Alex,
After tumbling 2 Sigma-Tek cageable AI's in my RV4 I installed a TruTrak ADI(I do alot of aerobatics). Absolutely a home run, still works great, on or off during Acro. I now have an HR2 and I installed one in it as well. Same story, you just can't hurt it.

Rob Ray
HR2

Gyros

I think removing vacuum is a good idea only if the gyros can be caged. If not might they be more liable to damage with the gyros not spun up. Can someone expert in this speak up? You could sell the gyros and get a Dynon which has no problem with acro. Bill

I think removing vacuum is a good idea only if the gyros can be caged. If not might they be more liable to damage with the gyros not spun up. Can someone expert in this speak up? You could sell the gyros and get a Dynon which has no problem with acro. Bill

The expert I'm going with on this is Jim Younkin. When I asked him a number of years ago about the conventional wisdom of non-spinning being worse than spinning with regards to aerobatics, he said something to the affect "where'd you hear that nonsense?". Might have been an adjective or two thrown in.

Caging non-spinning is the best. Caging spinning is the absolute worst situation.

This has been beaten on quite a bit - check the archives.

IF

I never another vacuum pump as long as I live it will be too soon.

My advice is rip all that junk out of the panel panel before you fly it ...Especially before you fly it IFR...You might live longer..:)

But anyway, sell it on Ebay, slap a Dynon and a Trutrak in (for IFR) or a Trutrak only for VFR and have done with it!

Frank

If I "ripped" out the junk...

OK, so how much $$ to replace my current functionality? My autopilot is fully coupled and relies on the vacuum driven gyros. I'd guess about $12k minimum to get current functionality back sans vacuum pump. I'd rather replace the vacuum pump every 500 hours, which is about due again. I could sell the HSI for a decent amount, I suspect, so it would help offset. Maybe also the autopilot, but probably not for a whole lot. Main problem is all the work and downtime during the project. I will replace the T/C with a small Dynon at some point though.

hmm

Assuming your going to fly IFR...Then a Dynong is 2.5k i think?...Assuming you kept your A/P.

But your right it is some downtime

Back