What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this the correct accessory case for my engine?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I have a disassembled O-320-E2A that I want to overhaul. Someone else had started it before me.

The accessory case had already been yellow tagged, cleaned and painted but I am a suspicious type. It looks like this:
100_1460.JPG

100_1461.JPG

I thought its part number is 76096, as seen in the picture below, but that doesn't show up in any documentation, even in the Numerical Parts History document. Maybe this is a casting number?
100_1462.JPG

The latest Parts Catalog 203-3 calls out 21A21533-04. The one before that calls out 76110.

I can't find any other legible part numbers on the accessory case. Lycoming parts numbering drives me crazy! Everything has either no numbers, or multiple numbers that I can't figure out (/rant off)

Thanks for any help.

Looks like my O-360 one...:)

Note that the case you have is for a camshaft with the bolt-on gear, not the one piece camshaft.

The yellow tag should have a part number on it.

Accy Case

The case was not masked properly before painting. Paint of governor pad and studs. The area around the holes for all the 1/4" attach hardware should be bare metal, you will not get a proper torque value with paint.
The mating surface for the oil pump body does not look right but I have nothing handy to compare it to.

Thanks Gil - my engine has a 2 piece camshaft (picture coming soon) The yellow tag says "details on file under work order..." I tried calling them but the tag is too old.

Jim - thanks for the info about the paint. I'll remove the paint in the areas you specify.

There must be another part number somewhere!

O-320 accessory case

I have an O-320 D1A rear case that looks just like this. The 360 and 320 dynafocal case are pretty much the same.
AZGila is correct on the oil breather shield for the cam slinger. I hear there is a mod that will allow the use of the one piece cam. Haven't found any info yet tho.
The E2A seems to be the 150 HP version of the D2A (160HP).
jrs is correct about the fastener pads as well. I worked in an environmental lab few years back (called it the Ricky Bobby lab - shake n bake!) and I was vibe testing a high pressure pump. The manufacturer painted the case and installed fasteners over the paint. The paint began to wear away then the case parts started to gall. This all happened pretty quick on the shaker and pretty much ruined the pump case.

Attached gear and cam upgrade.

If you send the assesory case cover to Chuck Ney they will modify it to except the new cam. They basically change the position of the oil slinger by removing material and reattaching.

I will probably use the 2 piece camshaft, unless someone gives me a reason not to.

The cam has been ground/resurfaced by Aircraft Specialties Services (yellow tagged). The gear has been yellow tagged also by Central Cylinder Services.
100_1480.JPG

100_1481.JPG

Does anyone have an old (pre 1982, I think) Parts Catalog for the O-320 that should the parts needed to attach the cam and gear? I found a breakdown in the overhaul manual but it doesn't list part numbers.

THe case looks just like mine on my O-320-B1A. However, I don't remember there being four holes in the oil pump area. That's two people now that have mentioned this. I would do some research there. It may be no issue, but worth looking into. I will look at my part's catalog. You are welcome to send me an email and I will reply with a copy of it. They can be found on-line with some persistence.

Larry

THe case looks just like mine on my O-320-B1A. However, I don't remember there being four holes in the oil pump area. That's two people now that have mentioned this. I would do some research there. It may be no issue, but worth looking into. I will look at my part's catalog. You are welcome to send me an email and I will reply with a copy of it. They can be found on-line with some persistence.

Larry

I looked at this for a reference and camshaft memory jog (my parts got assembled a few months ago)...

The Super Cub oil pump area looks identical....

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?33261-Two-Piece-to-One-Piece-Cam-Shaft

100_2484_Medium_.JPG

The oil pick up to the sump is different though, but that's not a part of this discussion. :)

Does an E2A normally have a governor? Not saying it can't be done but the original case would not have had the governor pad machined? Are the governor drive gears also present?

Pete

Case

Post #9 shows the "pad" for the old style oil pickup tube. Post #1 indicates a later manufacture case without the provision for the pickup tube.
The earlier style can be used with or without the oil pickup tube by reconfiguring the ports with covers and plugs. For the pickup tube the vertical passage would be plugged with a Lycoming part. To elimeinate the pickup tube that plug is removed and a cover plate installed on the pad where the pickup tube was removed.
The older parts books show all this.

Back