What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need help with a tight slider canopy

Tumper

Well Known Member
I have a question about my canopy. The rear of the canopy is pressing outward and causing the canopy to slide with too much friction.

I put the frame and glass together about 12 months ago. My first flight was in September. I kept thinking the glass would relax some and make it easier to move (like everyone else?s); but not yet. It is not a huge deal, but it would be nice if it moved more freely.

If I remember correctly, I put the canopy together with the frame about ?? undersized, so the completed canopy would be the correct dimension. I guess I miscalculate something.

I have thought about parking the plane outside on one of those sweltering hot Texas summer days and maybe that would relax the canopy some. It is currently 30 degrees outside so I will have to wait a few months for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously it is too late to make any adjustments to the frame.

I have a question about my canopy. The rear of the canopy is pressing outward and causing the canopy to slide with too much friction.

I put the frame and glass together about 12 months ago. My first flight was in September. I kept thinking the glass would relax some and make it easier to move (like everyone else?s); but not yet. It is not a huge deal, but it would be nice if it moved more freely.

If I remember correctly, I put the canopy together with the frame about ?? undersized, so the completed canopy would be the correct dimension. I guess I miscalculate something.

I have thought about parking the plane outside on one of those sweltering hot Texas summer days and maybe that would relax the canopy some. It is currently 30 degrees outside so I will have to wait a few months for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously it is too late to make any adjustments to the frame.

Is it actually hitting some where or is it just tight in the tracks? Mine was pretty tight for the first few hours then loosed to the point it would slide with a finger tip. Now that it's been freezing cold it's gotten really tight again. I've heard the same from others. I'd say it's normal.

Is it actually hitting some where or is it just tight in the tracks? Mine was pretty tight for the first few hours then loosed to the point it would slide with a finger tip. Now that it's been freezing cold it's gotten really tight again. I've heard the same from others. I'd say it's normal.

I have the same problem. This February has been the coldest month of February ever, for Montreal! Hoping for some warmth soon.

In the tracks

It is just pressing out on the tracks. I have tried a little silicone lube as well as white grease. But I don?t want to ?goop? it up too much.

Use an appropriate adhesive and glue buttons of Teflon on the outside of the screw heads that hold the track rollers in place to reduce friction against the rail.

A friend did this and it worked well for him.

Jim
RV9A flying

Last edited:
Back