What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MDRA requirements for compass on final inspection

tailcreek_flyer

I am wondering if I still require a separate magnetic compass or if my dynon adahrs will satisfy the requirements for transport Canada? Have any Canadian builders recently gone thru this with the MDRA inspector on final inspection?

Cam Andres
RV9A with IO360 C-FTLL
CH701 C-FCAM

Our local inspector is hard over on this topic - compass is required. I debated the point with him, indicating that Transport Canada is certifying heavy jets with no whiskey compass. That didn't stand up to his "well TC says we can't sign off airplanes without a whiskey compass".

For the small cost and relatively little inconvenience of installing one, why not put it in and avoid an argument or squawk on your inspection? Who knows, at some point down the line you might need that 2 1/4" hole for something else... At least there is no requirement for the compass to be in the pilots direct field of view, so you can wedge it into the far corner of the panel if you wish.

I argued with my inspector few weeks ago and, after checking with the local TC office, he mentioned that if I state on his form C21 that my installation meets 605.14(d) of the RAC, that he will accept it and he did.

MD-RA form C05E, page 4 also states that it is ok if the electronic compass is equipped with a stand-by battery.

Michel

Hi Michel,
I recalled reference to a backup battery and an electronic compass once you mentioned it. Thanks for the reference to the MD-RA form. I'll start the conversation with my inspector prior to the final so I don't have an issue
Cam

Hi CJ
I don't disagree with your point of taking the path of least resistance wrt compass install but if I don't need it and the inspector is on board with that, it's one less piece of hardware taking up space. I'll let you know how it goes
Cam

The requirement is for a compass that operates independently of the aircraft's electrical system.

I argued with the local MD-RA director that a Dynon with backup battery made it independent, but the reply was that as the battery was remotely mounted, the wire between the battery and the headunit was part of the aircraft's electrical system.

I wasn't ready for a full Skyview upgrade, so I installed a Dynon D10A, with an internal backup battery, and removed my whiskey compass. Good to hear that there are other routes now.

Note that a magnetic vertical card compass would also meet the requirement... No whiskey ball required.

Back