What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ouch, I see Spruce doubled the price of their Alodine 1201

Around me a couple boating stores have it - although like everything else in boating, it is a rip off there too. You might try calling around - being in Grand Rapids, you might luck out.

Good Luck,

I bought the powder from Eldorado Chemical. 1 lb of the stuff will make 10 gallons or so. 5lbs will probably do 2 airplanes. Not sure what the prices are now, but 5lbs was about $100 when I bought mine.

Dorado Kote 1

PJSeipel said:
I bought the powder from Eldorado Chemical. 1 lb of the stuff will make 10 gallons or so. 5lbs will probably do 2 airplanes. Not sure what the prices are now, but 5lbs was about $100 when I bought mine.

Dorado Kote 1

Allied Plating in Miami has it for $187 for ten pounds. One can mix it to one pound per thirteen gallons. About a buck fifty per gallon.

Peter

Finishmaster

If you have a Finishmaster locally, you can get DuPont 225S (surface prep) and DuPont 226S (equivalent to Alodine) without shipping costs. Find the nearest one at www.finishmaster.com. Hope this helps.

Mike

I already called them. You can't mix the dupont with henkel 1201 (which is what I have left over from the Emp.) and the Dupont is a 1 to 1 mix so you only get 2 gals. as opposed to the henkel (which is a 2 to 1) where you end up with 3 gals.

Why mix?

Why mix?

Just use one up, and then switch.

The acid step and the alodine (conversion) steps are independent and do not need to be a "matched set" of chemicals. There is a wash step between the two...

gil in Tucson

Try it

Try a small test case with the DuPont 225S at 2 to 1. If the color changes, it's OK.

DuPont's data sheet talks about no dilution and "direct application" (brushing on) - they don't mention the immersion bath method.

http://www.performancecoatings.dupont.com/dpc/en/us/html/prodinfo/chromasystem/H-19291_226S.pdf

The Henkel (Alodine 1201) is also no dilution for brushing, and the 2 to 1 is for an immersion bath.

http://www.aerospace.henkel.com/Images/Datasheet_PDF/hst_alodine1201.pdf

Note that the bath must be at 70F or warmer to work correctly at this dilution.

If you are doing large sheets, I like the use of a water misting bottle (an all-plastic one from the drug store) and just spray it on undiluted. Small parts can then be done in something like a plastic shoe storage box, filled to an inch deep or so.
{An idea from the old Matronics list... ;) ..}

good luck ......gil in Tucson

Please, please be very careful with this stuff, especially the powder. According to the experts, hexavalent chromium is one of the most potent carcinogens. In my opinion, you should always use a resperator and any spills, no matter how small, should cleaned up thoroughly and quickly.

Tom

Cheap Misters

cytoxin said:
stay cross wind when "aerosolizing" spray bottle tecnique. and a respirator is a good idea.

i also found the spray bottle doesnt last very long if you dont wash it out (the nozzle) i have used a pump sprayer to do large peices but the alodine ruins it in about 2-3 weeks.
dont let it dry before rinsing

This is why I recommended the cheap drug store sprayer. They usually have plastic parts in the nozzle and pump, and they do a poor job of atomizing the liquid. If you spray the sheets while they are still wet from the rinse step, the Alodine "drops" (not mist) will spread out evenly to convert the surface.

And yes, a respirator and covered skin is also a really good idea....

Reading the MSDS would make me far more worried about the powder form...

gil in Tucson

This is true, earlier on I was wondering why the alodyne sprayer bottle always failed to pump. Well...!!!
This is bad stuff. IMHO, if you want to be flying into your later years, forego the process and enjoy the flying while you can.

I bought mine at a local supplier of PPG products - DX503 is the product ID. Having said that, I've gone to AFS (Aircraft Finishing) products and they do not recommend alodine, which is all I needed to stop using the **** stuff.

Aviator said:
This is bad stuff. IMHO, if you want to be flying into your later years, forego the process and enjoy the flying while you can.

The old foreman where I work would always just grab parts in her bare hands, dunk them into the chem film tanks and swoosh em around all the time. :eek: She did this for many years and last I heard she was still alive.

briand said:
She did this for many years and last I heard she was still alive.

True, but like smokers, few live to a ripe old age. Most have lung problems and cancer. There are some that are blessed for whatever reason. :)

Back