- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
This parallels work I've been doing to support Avidyne IFD440/540/550. There is a pull request inbound to stratux to address the spurious alerts by only showing alerts for traffic within a certain radius vs. every target.
The pull request was accepted so it's in master now and will likely be in the next release for those who prefer not to build the software from source.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
If power is supplied to this unit through the normal power input jack (micro USB?), any idea if backfeeding the 12-5V converter would damage it? (I will probably use this with a normal USB charging cable for initial airborne checkout prior to integrating into the plane).

Also, would you trust these DC/DC converters to power your IPAD?
You could insert a diode on the line from the converter to the Pi, which would prevent backfeeding the device if powering from the USB port. I don't know if the converter would be damaged by the backfeeding or not, though.

I'm not certain about the UBEC converter powering an iPad; they definitely have the capacity (3A+ vs the iPad's 2.1A charging requirement), but I don't know how closely regulated they are...would be worthwhile to stick it on a meter and compare voltage under various loads.
I also seem to recall that a power supply needs to have a certain resistor in place to tell the iPad to enter fast-charging mode, so if you experiment with it, that might be something to look into.
A couple years ago, I replaced my "cigarette lighter" plug in the panel with a 2-port USB power supply, to power my Stratus I and ipad. That'd be the safe way to go, though it'll cost a few bucks more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
The pull request was accepted so it's in master now and will likely be in the next release for those who prefer not to build the software from source.
Nifty! I saw that go through this morning and will probably update to the latest master version and recompile to test out that and the other updates since 1.1b1.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Default How to test

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving,

I built the Stratux several months back and I've been using it with the IPad. I decided to add the serial output and upgrade the Stratux software/build. Everything still works with the IPad but still can't get anything on the 4500.

I'm going 232T from Stratux to serial one receive (white / orange wire) on 4500 and 232Gnd from Stratux to serial one ground (White/Blue wire) on 4500. I have changed the setup on serial one of the 4500 to ADSB 115k. Serial port one one this box was not used prior.

The only change that I made to the Stratux code was changing the 000 to 010 code as referenced early on this post.

My set up is Dual 4500's, G430W, SL30 and G330 transponder. I get TIS traffic and had XM weather. I physically detached the XM receiver at the receiver (i.e. Didn't disconnect the LAN cable on the 4500 ) and I have switched all the reference to ADSB weather to NONE.

I still don't see anything on the 4500's for traffic or weather. The "about" screen shows nothing passing through via ADSB. I've checked wiring, checked all the config that I can find but still nothing.

Next step would be to drop new code on the Stratux just to verify that I didn't mess anything up when I change the one line of code.

Any other ideas of what to check and or test?

Thanks and again... Happy Thanksgiving!!

And Roll Tide!! . Should be an interesting weekend....
www.oncloud7.com
Old 11-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'm going 232T from Stratux to serial one receive (white / orange wire) on 4500 and 232Gnd from Stratux to serial one ground (White/Blue wire) on 4500. I have changed the setup on serial one of the 4500 to ADSB 115k.
(...)
I still don't see anything on the 4500's for traffic or weather. The "about" screen shows nothing passing through via ADSB. I've checked wiring, checked all the config that I can find but still nothing.
If you're not seeing the counter increment on the 4500, it's not picking up any valid ADSB data on the serial input. That points to either a wiring issue (it sounds like your wiring is correct) or a config issue with Stratux.

I'm still running the old Stratux version in my plane, because it's been working fine so haven't seen the need to fuss with it -- can you post the version number of your Stratux build and maybe someone else can confirm it's working for them?

Most likely culprit would be the serial output setup on the Stratux.
1/ what serial output dongle are you using? Is it for sure providing RS232 levels and not TTL?
2/ have you programmed it for the "Stratux Serialout" descriptor so the box knows that's how it should be used?
3/ Have you set the port speed in Stratux to match your 4500? (115200)

I'd start with a fresh Stratux install, and connect the serial port to your computer for troubleshooting -- you can use Putty or a similar program to monitor the port to be sure the Stratux is sending data.

Once you know your Stratux is providing output on the bench, then reconnect it to the 4500.

Finally, once you have the 4500 receiving data from the base build, then go back and modify the build if needed to adjust the alert flags (though the mod I detailed should no longer be required with ChiefPilot's contribution noted earlier.)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Most likely culprit would be the serial output setup on the Stratux.
1/ what serial output dongle are you using? Is it for sure providing RS232 levels and not TTL?
2/ have you programmed it for the "Stratux Serialout" descriptor so the box knows that's how it should be used?
3/ Have you set the port speed in Stratux to match your 4500? (115200)

I'd start with a fresh Stratux install, and connect the serial port to your computer for troubleshooting -- you can use Putty or a similar program to monitor the port to be sure the Stratux is sending data.
Thanks Joshua,

I'm using the CP2102 as you referenced above and bought it via the Stratux store so "assuming" it has the description as "Stratux Serialout". I do see serial port enabled when connecting via http and have the baud rate set to 115200k. Would that validate that the description is correct? i.e. "Stratux Serialout"?

I've running 1.4.r3 as I downloaded the latest version. I still have the old version on a SD card so maybe I'll try that one. Hopefully, I just screwed up something when making the code change.

Thanks for your / y'alls help with this!!

Regards,
Doug
www.oncloud7.com
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Are you using serial port #1 or #3 on the AF-4500?

Only serial port #1 and port #3 are high speed ports with buffering.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N402RH View Post
Are you using serial port #1 or #3 on the AF-4500?

Only serial port #1 and port #3 are high speed ports with buffering.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Yes, using Serial port#1.

Thanks,
Doug
www.oncloud7.com
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 AM

Default G3X?

Has anyone tried this setup connected to G3X?

thanks,

Haydn
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 AM

I have the AF4000. I am in the process of adding the GDL-82 for ADS-B out. Can I get ADS-B In to show on my system with the GDL90? Would much prefer to see traffic and weather on my second AF4000 display than my iPad. Is this possibles? BTW, I should add that I have a GTX327.

Last edited by ALagonia : 11-14-2018 at 08:46 AM.