What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on brake parts

MrNomad

Well Known Member
After 600 hours, looks like it's time to replace the original rotors that came with my RV9A 10 years ago. Spruce sells these parts.

O-RINGS AN6227B-23 MS28775-218
Part #: AN6227B-23

RAPCO BRAKE DISC RA164-01700
Part #: 06-00618

RAPCO BRAKE LINING # RA66-106
Part #: 06-16956

Correct?

Second question - At every annual I am always cleaning black stuff off this intersection fairing on both sides. Where is it coming from?

5y6y35.png

Thx.

Yeah I get the same black stuff on each side. Mostly peeking from under the intersection fairing on top of the wing. Heavy breaking seems to cause it. I wipe it off after each flight. I'm sure it's just brake pad dust.
Sheldon

Yeah I get the same black stuff on each side. Mostly peeking from under the intersection fairing on top of the wing. Heavy breaking seems to cause it. I wipe it off after each flight. I'm sure it's just brake pad dust.
Sheldon

....I get this as well, and like you I am not so sure it is just brake dust. In my attempts to stop this, as well as find the source, I sealed the gear leg fairings with expanding foam. To my complete surprise, the black magically reappeared. On mine this black goo is sort of greasy, and is somewhat difficult to remove. I was a little worried about possible fuel leaks in the wing root contributing to the goo, so I checked and none were present. I also checked for brake fluid leaks as a possible factor, and found none. I can't imagine brake dust getting through that expanding foam? This must be the "Black Scrunge Ferry" at work again. I will catch her one of these days! Thanks, Allan...:confused:

....I get this as well, and like you I am not so sure it is just brake dust. In my attempts to stop this, as well as find the source, I sealed the gear leg fairings with expanding foam. To my complete surprise, the black magically reappeared. On mine this black goo is sort of greasy, and is somewhat difficult to remove. I was a little worried about possible fuel leaks in the wing root contributing to the goo, so I checked and none were present. I also checked for brake fluid leaks as a possible factor, and found none. I can't imagine brake dust getting through that expanding foam? This must be the "Black Scrunge Ferry" at work again. I will catch her one of these days! Thanks, Allan...:confused:

Abrasion dust from the fiberglass/skin mating surface? Sort of the glass equivalent of a smoking rivet.

A quick check would be to put some vinyl tape on both surfaces and see it goes away.

Abrasion dust from the fiberglass/skin mating surface? Sort of the glass equivalent of a smoking rivet.

A quick check would be to put some vinyl tape on both surfaces and see it goes away.

...I will try that, and post. Thanks, Allan:D

Ron, you must be really packing on the hours if you need new discs already!
Especially with a tail dragger.

Brake Rotors

How do you know when you need new brake rotors? Is there something visually you should see?

Minimum thickness

Cleveland wheel 5.00-5 PN: 40-78B
Brake disk PN: 164-17
Min. Thickness: 0.167in / 4.242 mm
Rapco brake disk: RA164-01700

I got 1000 hrs. out of my original disk. Replaced with Repco from vansaircrafttires.com free shipping over $100

Back