What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP improvements posted

Brantel

Well Known Member
For those that are interested, the new AP improvements have been posted on the Dynon site for the D1?? Products...

Most of the AP improvements in 5.4 are related to improving pitch axis performance... Here are the new parameters they gave us access to:

 Pitch Gain: Use only after sensitivity is set as well as it can be. Increase gradually if airplane does not settle on altitude. The default setting is 20.

 Altitude Gain (ALT GAIN): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if airplane levels off too soon. Reduce gradually if airplane overshoots altitudes after climbs and descents. The default setting is 6.

 Pull Rate: Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Controls the rate the AP will push or pull when changing vertical speed. The default setting is 10.

 VSI Gain: Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if overshooting altitude after climbs or descents, decrease if rounding out too early. The default setting is 15.

 G Error Gain (G ERR GAIN): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if vertical speed changes are not smoothed enough; Decrease if ride is too harsh. G Error Gain adjustments affect the most noticeable changes while the aircraft is in turbulence. The default setting is 10.

 G Error Limit (G ERR LIM): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Controls the max additional G the autopilot will push or pull to control vertical speed (up to the G limiter). G Error Limit adjustments affect the most noticeable changes while the aircraft is in turbulence. The default setting is 25.

Here are my settings I have after much testing. Remember I have an RV7 bone stock with an SV42 pitch axis servo:
  • Pitch Max Torque: 60%
  • Pitch Sensitivity: 18
  • Pitch Gain: 22
  • Altitude Gain (ALT GAIN): 15
  • Pull Rate: 10
  • VSI Gain:15
  • G Error Gain (G ERR GAIN): 10
  • G Error Limit (G ERR LIM): 25

From Dynon's website, and a mighty bold statement:

?With this latest upgrade, our autopilot system now leads the industry in performance.?

Hmmm...Agree with you there! I would let the masses decide that one! Bold indeed! That being said, I think you will hear some good reports soon!

Those marketing folks.....

We do make the best Baked Beans though :D

From Dynon's website, and a mighty bold statement:

?With this latest upgrade, our autopilot system now leads the industry in performance.?

Last edited:
CAUTION!

I just spent the morning trying to upload the newest version and it has screwed up my system. Don't know what the problem is yet, but I get error messages while uploading to the D100 and eventually the program quits.

Will post again when/if the problem is fixed.

greg

Greg this happened to me on the previous update. Turned out the problem was that I did not disconnect other serial devices such as the gps.

Give em a call if you have not already. Better to have their guidance rather than turning your boxes into bricks that have to go back to the factory to get them unhung...

It is inevedible that someone will have problems with updating firmware since there are so many variables involved.

Those of us on the beta teams of these manufacturers update firmware sometimes multiple times in the same week. It gets easier the more you do it and the more you limit the variables. (like using a computer that you know will work etc.)

Already at least one non beta member has reported on the Dynon forum that his update went fine so there must be some variable that is causing you pain that not everyone will run into.

I have had no issues updating firmware on my Dynon ever since Dynon replaced my D100 that had issues out of the box with the DSAB (that is a story in itself). I have gone forwards backwards from alpha to beta to release candidates to final release. No issues but I know that does not help your situation since you are having some issue.

They will help you figure out what variable is causing the trouble and get you up and running...

I am so glad that the industry is moving away from serial port firmware updating. Too many variables with computers, serial ports, drivers, operating systems, cables, etc.....It is a miracle that manufacturers ever decided to let customers do their own updates this way. I like the "stick an SD card in the slot" method myself!!!

Last edited:
I am so glad that the industry is moving away from serial port firmware updating. Too many variables with computers, serial ports, drivers, operating systems, cables, etc.....It is a miracle that manufacturers ever decided to let customers do their own updates this way. I like the "stick an SD card in the slot" method myself!!!

Amen to that. Additionally, with a D100, D120, AP74, HS34, and two servos, the upgrade instructions make my head hurt:
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_201008.html

One of the lesser-mentioned reasons I wish I'd gone with the Skyview or something else.

-Rob

Hmmm...Agree with you there! I would let the masses decide that one! Bold indeed! That being said, I think you will hear some good reports soon!

Those marketing folks.....

We do make the best Baked Beans though :D

Can I pet your talking dog?

Very satisfied!

I installed the update this evening. The first time I ran the update it failed in the middle saying something about losing a connection. I ran it again immediately and it worked liked a charm. I took it up for a flight and left all the settings at default. It was like night and day. Before the plane would oscillate so bad it would make me nauseous. Now it's like a human is flying. It anticipates leveling off before getting to the target altitude and then very lightly brings you to the exact altitude. I flew through some light chop and it held altitude and heading very well, with light and smooth corrections that were almost unnoticeable. Two big thumbs up for Dynon! :)

Update

Well, the box will be shipped back to Dynon tomorrow. By the way, Bob Mills updated his this afternoon with no problem (and I'm actually using his D100 for a trip this weekend because mine's TU). Here's the (short) story: Connected to D100, checked firmware version (I do this to confirm that I have good connectivity). Ran the backup program and got good backups (I think). Started the update from 5.2 to 5.4. While watching, I kept seeing errors go by, and the program would redo the errors, then go onto the next sectors or blocks or whatever. Maybe 10% into the update, it just failed with the yellow screen of death displaying. Tried reloading software, restarting update program etc. all to no avail - problem seemed to be that I could no longer connect to the D100. Called Mike at Dynon who advised to kill all power to unit (including battery backup) and start over. Did this and established connectivity, tried software update again and got errors and crash again. Tried a couple more times, no luck. Called Mike back and he was looking into what might be the cause.

Meanwhile, I went to work for a couple hours. I redownloaded the Dynon Support program, thinking that the original might have been corrupted or something. Headed back to the airport later this afternoon. Dynon dead - stone cold hard dead. Checked all my electrical connections, power etc. Not a wiring issue that I could tell. Pulled internal battery. 16.5V so battery is not dead.

No clue at this point what the problem is/was, or why D100 went dead. Frustrating to say the least, as I am headed to CO from Reno tomorrow and was hoping to test the new autopilot features. Fortunately, Bob Mills lent me his D100 for the trip, so at least I can still go, but his D100 is running 5.4 and my D120 is running 5.2, so they're not talking. I've no clue what the autopilot servos are running at this point.

Not the end of the world.... I'm still planning on testing the new configuration of my APRS.

My lesson: don't try updating software the night before a trip....

greg

My lesson: don't try updating software the night before a trip....

greg

Or on Christmas Eve! AMHIK...that's the one time I had to send my box back...of course I couldn't get an RMA# for several days (something about the guys at Dynon wanting Christmas off! ;)) It was all my bad, so lesson learned.

After trying many things upon arrival to resuscitate Greg's "brick", as Brian appropriately named it, we threw in the towel, got the RMA and did the swap.

My update to 5.4 went through first try, as Greg mentioned. Different computer, different cable than Greg's. My cable is a Radio Shack USB to serial converter, and Greg uses a USB to 2.5mm (maybe 3.5mm) jack that he wired up quite slickly in his panel. We looked at that jack to see if it or the wires were suspect, but all looked good, and updates have been successful via that jack several times in the past.

One difference in our procedures was that after detecting firmware (I do that to check comms too), Greg did the backup via the separate backup selection in the drop down menu, then started the update separately. I just went straight to the update selection, and said yes to "Do you want to create an update". Using that method, after the backup is saved, the update automatically runs. It shouldn't make a difference, but its just noted FYI.

Greg will run my D100 non-networked into his DSAB for a couple of reasons. First, we did not want to try a 5.4 update on his EMS120, just in case his cable or computer was the cause of the failure, and risk him losing his EMS and his CO trip. Second, he would have had to run the update program via his computer on my EFIS to get to his servos, and we were concerned about making a second EFIS brick. And third, if he configured his network with my D100 as the bus master, he'd have to redo all of that again with his unit (he may have to anyway after the fix), and I'd have to do it with mine upon return (so he saved me some work!) He'll have to click off the DSAB warning upon start up, and won't have an AP for the trip, but he'll at least have an EFIS and an EMS, and his 496 was communicating with my EFIS, so he'll have an HSI for the VFR X-C.

Just figured I'd dogpile to give folks some more data points, including my successful update to 5.4 for my D100, D10A, AP-74 and two SV-32 Servos.

Question for you Brian in a seperate post to follow.

Have a great trip Greg!!

Cheers,
Bob

Brian,

Some great info here from you! I read the manual last night before I did my upgrade, and still have a few questions. I need to go on the Dynon forum to see if there are further explanations for the adjustments, but hope I can ask a few here since you're just out of beta-land. I will spend some good time testing and tweaking mine as well (when it gets back from CO), but thought I'd try to leverage your recent experience (I know I won't be alone in that desire! :))

I see you've dropped the Tq of the SV-42, then gone up on the pitch gain. Is that opposite adjustments? I know you may not need all the Tq from the bigger servo, but wondering if the two adjustments are similar...perhaps P gain is micro Tq? Or is P Gain an error tolerance adjustment for how far off alt before a correction is made in level flight.

ALT GAIN also seems to be an error tolerance setting. but this time for level offs. Is that how you see it? VSI GAIN seems similar, though the adjustments are opposite (whether to INC or DEC for overshoots or early levels). Did you get more detail on these adjustments?

Pull Rate makes sense...that's been one of my dislikes at times, so this may be a very nice tool!

The two G Error adjustments confused me a bit. For gain, still trying to figure out the difference between "vertical speed changes are not smoothed enough" and "ride is too harsh", which call for opposite adjustments. Do you have a "dumb pilot Bob" way of describing that adjustment? :)

The last one G Error G limit, seems self explanatory as well, and appears to be the cousin of pull rate.

I noticed you adjusted the first two and left the others alone, and that the manual says to adjust them top-down, and stop moving down when you are happy (paraphrase). Did you find that the AP pitch mode was vastly (or nicely) improved out of the box on the default settings, and those minor tweaks were all it took to make you smile big? In other words, did just adding the new adjustments and using the defaults found in beta testing make for a large leap in pitch performance? I figure you played with all the settings along the beta trail...did the lower ones have smaller effects than upper settings, or did they have a more dramatic impact, and are better left alone unless really necessary?

I know that's a lot of questions (probably over-anal-yzing), and much may be answered when I fly it, but I appreciate any illumination/clarification you may have from your test experience. If there is a Dynon discussion that adds detail to the manual, please do point me (us) there.

Thanks for sharing your numbers and your experience! You da man!!

Cheers,
Bob

Most of the AP improvements in 5.4 are related to improving pitch axis performance... Here are the new parameters they gave us access to:

 Pitch Gain: Use only after sensitivity is set as well as it can be. Increase gradually if airplane does not settle on altitude. The default setting is 20.

 Altitude Gain (ALT GAIN): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if airplane levels off too soon. Reduce gradually if airplane overshoots altitudes after climbs and descents. The default setting is 6.

 Pull Rate: Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Controls the rate the AP will push or pull when changing vertical speed. The default setting is 10.

 VSI Gain: Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if overshooting altitude after climbs or descents, decrease if rounding out too early. The default setting is 15.

 G Error Gain (G ERR GAIN): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Increase gradually if vertical speed changes are not smoothed enough; Decrease if ride is too harsh. G Error Gain adjustments affect the most noticeable changes while the aircraft is in turbulence. The default setting is 10.

 G Error Limit (G ERR LIM): Use only after sensitivity and all of the above settings are set as well as they can be. Controls the max additional G the autopilot will push or pull to control vertical speed (up to the G limiter). G Error Limit adjustments affect the most noticeable changes while the aircraft is in turbulence. The default setting is 25.

Here are my settings I have after much testing. Remember I have an RV7 bone stock with an SV42 pitch axis servo:
  • Pitch Max Torque: 60%
  • Pitch Sensitivity: 18
  • Pitch Gain: 22
  • Altitude Gain (ALT GAIN): 15
  • Pull Rate: 10
  • VSI Gain:15
  • G Error Gain (G ERR GAIN): 10
  • G Error Limit (G ERR LIM): 25

Bob, See reply below in blue...

Brian,

Some great info here from you! I read the manual last night before I did my upgrade, and still have a few questions. I need to go on the Dynon forum to see if there are further explanations for the adjustments, but hope I can ask a few here since you're just out of beta-land. I will spend some good time testing and tweaking mine as well (when it gets back from CO), but thought I'd try to leverage your recent experience (I know I won't be alone in that desire! :))

I see you've dropped the Tq of the SV-42, then gone up on the pitch gain. Is that opposite adjustments? I know you may not need all the Tq from the bigger servo, but wondering if the two adjustments are similar...perhaps P gain is micro Tq? Or is P Gain an error tolerance adjustment for how far off alt before a correction is made in level flight.

I went with the SV-42 because some people reported that the SV-32 was not strong enough for an RV7. I have found that the SV-42 is plenty strong at 60% of its rating which is less than a SV-32 at 100% torque so I don't know what to think of that.....If I were doing it again, I would just go with the SV-32.

The torque setting is just that...How much torque are you gonna allow the servo to produce. I set mine by feel of how much force I was comfortable with to cause the servo to slip if I wanted to override the servo with the stick. If you set it too low, the servo will slip all the time causing it to appear mushy and unable to control the airplane very well. If you set it too high, it will be harder to override it if you wanted to.

Pitch gain is a different creature but all of these things interact with each other to some degree. Sensitivity is the overall gain of the system. Pitch gain helps the system settle on an altitude instead of yo-yoing around an altitude.

ALT GAIN also seems to be an error tolerance setting. but this time for level offs. Is that how you see it?

Yep, it allows you to tweak the approach the system takes to settling on the setpoint. To agressive and it will overshoot, not and it will take forever to get there. It has a smoothing effect on how it gets there.

VSI GAIN seems similar, though the adjustments are opposite (whether to INC or DEC for overshoots or early levels). Did you get more detail on these adjustments?

Similar to the ALT gain just using a different sensor to help you get to the same result.

Pull Rate makes sense...that's been one of my dislikes at times, so this may be a very nice tool!

It is nice..It allows you to tweak your ride...

The two G Error adjustments confused me a bit. For gain, still trying to figure out the difference between "vertical speed changes are not smoothed enough" and "ride is too harsh", which call for opposite adjustments. Do you have a "dumb pilot Bob" way of describing that adjustment? :)

Pull Rate is the RATE at which it will try and correct and G Error gain is equal of sensitivity for trying to correct the error.

The last one G Error G limit, seems self explanatory as well, and appears to be the cousin of pull rate.

Yep, just sets the limit on how hard the AP will pull when it needs to quickly correct for some disturbance. (Wing removal prevention device) It puts a cap on PULL RATE and G error Gain.

I noticed you adjusted the first two and left the others alone, and that the manual says to adjust them top-down, and stop moving down when you are happy (paraphrase). Did you find that the AP pitch mode was vastly (or nicely) improved out of the box on the default settings, and those minor tweaks were all it took to make you smile big?

Yes, the defaults produced a much better ride than normal. I was smiling before I ever changed anything. The tweaks I made made it that much more better....I would start with the defaults and follow the rules listed to tweak yours in. My guess is all airplanes will have slightly different numbers in the end due to the variables and the taste of the pilot.

In other words, did just adding the new adjustments and using the defaults found in beta testing make for a large leap in pitch performance?

Yes they did! I don't know for sure but I suspect that Dynon rewrote their entire Pitch control algorithm. I don't think they just gave us access to new parameters, I doubt their original algorithms were as sophisticated as they are now. This is just my guess and I have no idea what Dynon did internally so take this comment as a grain of salt...

I figure you played with all the settings along the beta trail...did the lower ones have smaller effects than upper settings, or did they have a more dramatic impact, and are better left alone unless really necessary?

Follow their directions in order to make the tweaking go faster. Work from the top down... All of these things tend to interact with each other and it will take you some time to understand how each parameter "feels" in real life. I had no reason to mess with the last four cuz they worked fine for me at the defaults. No reason you can't experiment with em though. Just be carefull with the G Error Limit. Most likely the servo would slip before damage was done but you need to be carefull with that one.

I know that's a lot of questions (probably over-anal-yzing), and much may be answered when I fly it, but I appreciate any illumination/clarification you may have from your test experience. If there is a Dynon discussion that adds detail to the manual, please do point me (us) there.

I am sure there will be more public talk as people explore this new capability. The Alpha and Beta versions worked so well out of the box that there is not much additional to add that you have not already seen. Most of the tweaks by Dynon were minor fixes Alpha to Release.

Thanks for sharing your numbers and your experience! You da man!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Brian and others,

In reviewing my post, it might seem that I am beating on Dynon. I'm not. I mostly wanted to post so that folks are more cautious than I am in doing the update. I am really looking forward to trying the new autopilot software and just got unlucky with this upgrade (or maybe there's a fundamental problem with my D100 that needs attention anyway). Guess I'll just have to plan another trip to test it when it returns.....

cheers,
greg

No problem Greg, they will get you fixed up!

Flew from Kmor to Kchs today. AP worked great!!!

Thanks Brian...great info...again!

I'll do as you did, try the default, and work top down as needed to dial it in. I don't need to play with the settings just to see what they do. Well, I like to tinker, but I know to not fix what aint broke!! ;) I'll respect that g-limit setting as well...no need to allow it to yank and bank...that's my job! :D

Thanks again!

Greg, how'd things work enroute to CO today?

Cheers,
Bob

Bob

Your dynon worked fine though the AOA seems set too high ;). Aprs worked fantastic the entire trip if you check the track it got hits everywhere except on the ground. Glad we changed settings!
Headed for LXV tomorrow and will meet up with Ron Lee enroute at Salida and then do some photos enroute to LXV. Having lots of fun!

Greg

This is not a great photo but this is Greg's plane heading north in the Buena Vista (KAEJ), Colorado area heading to Leadville.

Greg1Small.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone used the autopilot to fly an approach? I just used mine today to fly the ILS and it seemed to S turn down the localizer course. I have yet to adjust all the gains and such, so they are still stock.

Hand flying the ILS, the dynon worked very well and I'd be comfortable going to mins...I just need to get the autopilot tied in correctly :)

I have flown GPS approaches with it. Works like and dream. Holds the course to 0.0 cross track error most of the time. But these are way different than localizer approaches...

You need to tune the AP before you will get max performance out of it.

By the nature of how a localizer works, most AP's struggle to keep it super smooth. This is really evident close in on some AP's. The closer you get, the more sensitive the localizer gets....

Some of the older certified analog AP's will take you on a wild ride close in!!!!

Last edited:
I did some more testing on the AP with ILS and just like the book says, you gotta wait until youre established on the localizer (which is what I didnt do before) and it will fly you right down the Localizer.

Brantel,

You are flying some GPS approaches? I have been trying to fly an RNAV approach, but I'm not getting the GS/vertical guidance on the dynon. I have the AP74 and HS34 with a Garmin 430W tied into a D-100 efis. If you have any info on what I'm doing wrong, I sure would appreciate it.

Dynon does not support vertical steering commands yet (the AP will not couple to the vertical guidance). The AP76 is suppose to enable this function. This unit is on hold at the moment. Talk to Dynon about when or if this will be released.

Do you get the GS indicator on the HSI? Not sure if that works or not at this time....(Dynon sez the GS indicator should work if you have VNAV data available)

The GPS approaches I have flown are fake ones out of my 510...no vertical. (But I do get a VNAV/GS indicaton on the HSI)

Last edited:
Yeah, when I fly the ILS, I get GS/Loc on the "hud". The AP will fly the LOC nicely, but like you said, no vertical steering for GS.

When I fly the GPS approach, I get the "Loc" but no GS on the "hud". The AP flies the "loc" fine in GPS mode as well.

I have the 430W simulator from garmins site and when I fly the RNAV approach for the local airport on it, it shows GS on the HSI. I guess I can post in Dynons support forum and see what they say

Brian, gang:

Quick PIREP: Just flew a short X-C this weekend with 5.4 installed, and the pitch mode was the best behaved I've seen, right out of the "box" with no tweaking to the new parameters yet.

Pretty short flights (Reno-Bay Area and back), so not much time to play with it...but this first go-round was notibly smoother. More testing to go, and I did see one slightly early level off from a climb, so I may play with that (after re-studying the gouge). Almost don't want to mess with it...but I...just...can't...help...myself...:rolleyes: (little steps, little steps! ;))

Roll modes (NAV, TRK, HDG), and now pitch modes were all very smooth this time. Initial impressions are great for the continued progress Dynon has made with the AP! (Just as you described Brian! Kewl!! :D) Thanks D!

Cheers,
Bob

Vertical Guidance in Dynon EFIS

In response to Post 23, that information is not correct.

Dynon EFIS devices do provide vertical guidance, both Glideslope from SL30 and GNS430/530, and VNAV from WAAS capable GPS (GNS430/530, CNX80/GNS480).

Currently the Dynon autopilot does not follow any vertical guidance. Using our SkyView EFIS system, however, the autopilot will follow a vertical speed bug for both climbs and descents.

Kirk Kleinholz
Dynon Technical Support.

What part is not correct??? I did not say the Dynon would not show a GS indication on the HSI. I did say the AP would not couple to vertical steering commands which it won't..

You just said what I said...and a few more things about the Skyview which we were not discussing here.

We were discussing current AP coupling capability in the D?? products, not Skyview.

Please do not take post out of context...

In response to Post 23, that information is not correct.

Dynon EFIS devices do provide vertical guidance, both Glideslope from SL30 and GNS430/530, and VNAV from WAAS capable GPS (GNS430/530, CNX80/GNS480).

Currently the Dynon autopilot does not follow any vertical guidance. Using our SkyView EFIS system, however, the autopilot will follow a vertical speed bug for both climbs and descents.

Kirk Kleinholz
Dynon Technical Support.

Last edited:
Chris,

I would say that you may have an approach loaded that does not have any vertical component to it. Which airport are you talking about?

When I fly the GPS approach, I get the "Loc" but no GS on the "hud". The AP flies the "loc" fine in GPS mode as well.

Hey dynonsupport! thanks for dropping in

Brantel and gang

I'll post my setup here first incase I didnt post it here already.

Dynon D100+EMS120, AP74, and HS34.

These are wired via ARINC to a GNS430W.

The approach I'm trying to fly is the KMOT RNAV(GPS) 31. On the 430W, I have LPV guidance.

I understand that the AP74 will not fly the verical guidance and thats fine. The thing I would like to see (but I am not seeing) is a magenta GS on the RNAV approach. I DO have a magenta "localizer" that works very well.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Update

Received my D100 back last Friday but too many airplanes flying locally to test it (note my home field location)! Headed to Socal today, so will have a chance to see how it works. The reinstall and update of the other parts of my system went off without a problem.

I still need to contact Dynon to see what the issue was, as I got no information back on what they fixed.

greg

Vertical guidance

Apologies to all for the ruffled feathers. My post was in direct response to a customer support call from someone who read on this forum (he cited the specific post) that the Dynon would not provide vertical guidance. My intention was to clarify so that others would not get the same misperception. I'll retract my comment that the original post was "incorrect"; rather, it was somewhat vague in the terms used, leaving room for misinterpretation by others. We do appreciate the spirited and informative discussions posted on this forum.

Dynon Support

Dynon support, do you have any info/suggestions for what I need to do to get GS for RNAV approaches on the "Hud" of the D-100?

Thanks
Chris

Chris

See Page 4-3 of the current D100 User Guide.
On the EFIS page, these two items are enabled via the EFIS > SETUP > CLUTTR menu under a single item, which can be set to either CDI:N, CDI:Y, or CDI+GS.

Note however if you use the CDI+GS it removes some other display, not sure which, maybe the left data which in my case is the TAS OAT etc, so we just use the HSI setup so the HSI displays the CDI and GS. We do have the EFIS menu above set up as CDI:Y as well.

For the GS on the HSI refer to page 4-9 and you will see the GS indicator on the RHS of the screen. You will only get the GS when a valid Vertical Nav is available such as an ILS. As we are in a "aviation 3rd world country" in Aust we have no GNSS RNAV's with Vertical path, so we do not get a GS in Magenta mode!

Hope that helps

DB:cool:

At some point in the past I said I would post my comments on the new AP software and how it performs in rough weather. As you can see it takes a while :rolleyes:

So a month or so ago while flying home from our nations capital I was faced with FEW TS which ended up being SCT TS:( so I did the right thing and went down underneath and VFR so I did not blunder into one :eek: I then had 3 hours of bouncing along at around 4500' in thermalling and windy conditions to play with the AP tuning.

Once I did that with some acreful consideration to the changes made (one at a time) I could home in on a good set up.

I would have to say now that the performance is very good indeed and the results I and others with RV8's at my field are getting are impressing everyone.

I am sure there will be a few more refinements to come over time but it seems they have this one sorted better than 95% :)

All the best for Christmas and 2011.

DB :cool:

That has been my experience as well.

It just works as advertised. That is what we asked for and that is what we got.

There is still an occasional bug where the AP will lose its Nav source when following a NMEA course but they have made big improvements in that regard. All it takes is one button push to get it back so it is not a big deal, more of an occasional annoyance.

Brian

When you upgrade your panel ;) and have the GNS430/530W and an ARINC429 bus connection that will be a distant memory for you!

The wx is seriously crappy here at present...and IR renewal in the morning, so off to bed.....it will be a big morning of solid IMC!

Cheers

DB:cool:

Brantel, how and where can I tweak the Dynon auto pilot gains ? I have not for the life of me been able to find it in any literature.
Thanks
Phelps

Brantel, how and where can I tweak the Dynon auto pilot gains ? I have not for the life of me been able to find it in any literature.
Thanks
Phelps

The info is in the manuals....the current ones. They are available for download on their website. The info is in the installation manual of the EFIS.

Will these setting apply to a skyview system?

I just got the autopilot working in my 6. It seems to work pretty well though I have not tried it in any turbulance yet. I posted on the Dynon forum for settings anyone had for an RV-6 and got no responce. The only thing I noticed with my setup and the default settings was the pitch seems slow to react and change to a new altitude. I was going to up the gain on pitch. Does anyone have settings for the skyview system?

Brantel,
I have a 496 and a D180. I take it the 496 does not output the required steering commands for the D180 to operate with steering commands. Anything short of a 430/530 I can do to have the ap track the magenta line ?
Thanks I think I know the answer.
Phelps

The 496 can drive the Dynon AP in GPS NAV mode and in ground track mode.

What it can't do is serve as a GPSS source. In other words, it will overfly the waypoints and then turn back to the course instead cutting the corners.....

Must be doing something wrong. I cannot set horizon auto pilot to anying but H or T. Will not go to N. Do I need the advanced nmea turned on for this to work ? Just looking for the gps to fly a flight plan
Thx phelps

Set the 496 to output NMEA, set the Dynon to auto, make sure the baud rates match, set the advanced NMEA option in the 496 to normal, ensure you have a sat lock with an active waypoint in the flight plan.

It should work....if the wiring is correct.

Home Run on getting the GPSMAP 496 talking to the AutoPilot is a home run. Why did Garmin bury the turn on for NMEA messages ?

DO you have any roll servo setting ? We have some wandering in the roll axis.
Thanks
phelps

Make sure you have the latest firmware and then use these Roll settings as a starting point:

Torque = 85% (for the SV32 Servo and an RV7)
Sen = 10
Turn Rt Lmt = 0 This enables the newer roll control algorithm that works way better than the original. This will go a long way to stopping any roll issues you might have.
Bank Lmt = 35?

There is nothing magic about these numbers other than the Turn Rt Lmt. That really changes the roll control to the better. :D

Torque is just set so that it won't slip much but is not so tight that it is hard to overtake the servo if you need to. :eek:

Sensitivity, crank it up till it twitches and then back it off a little.

Bank Limit is just personal preference and what you are comfortable with. RV7's have no problem with 35?.

Home Run on getting the GPSMAP 496 talking to the AutoPilot is a home run. Why did Garmin bury the turn on for NMEA messages ?

DO you have any roll servo setting ? We have some wandering in the roll axis.
Thanks
phelps

Back