What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 panel in a 9?

tcoverst

It is my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) that there are a couple of standard panel layouts for RV-14s being built. In particular the standard layout with the Garmin G3X and 625 etc. with G5 backup instrument and radio stack is probably my dream layout. My question is - is it appropriate to use that "standard" layout for a RV-14 on my RV-9? Is there a size difference restriction that will prevent that? Or is there a power outlay restriction in a standard RV-9 with 320 io engine that would prevent that panel from being incorporated?
I know it is a different panel piece, but it could simplify my discussions with panel layout companies if I could just say - I want it to layout like a RV-14 panel.
Am I way off base here?

-Tim

There are lots of examples of what you are looking for out there. The big shops like Stein, Aerotronics, etc, will have photos of what you are looking for in a 7/9 panel size. I have flown in a -6 with 2 G3X, GTN650, GMC 307, and a G5. Typically the G5 needs to be moved to the center due to space, which is possible with remote mounted radios and audio panels.

Check out Dynon' IFR quick panels. It's not Garmin screens but it will give you an idea of how it can look.

Great tip

Great tip on the Dynon quick panels layout. It gives me a place to see the options. Come on Garmin - get with the program - maybe I will have to give more serious thought to a Dynon system or at least some components. Its just that all my flying has been with the Garmin logic sentence in mind so far.
Thanks again for the tip.

My RV9 has a panel from Stein Air and I love it. Mine may not be what you are looking for but I guarantee Stein can get you exactly what you want. The guys at Stein Air are easy to work with. Good people.

Back