What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8's and F-18's

donaziza

Well Known Member
Flew with a former Navy F-18 driver in the back seat of my 8 last Sunday. He said the feel of an RV 8 was very similar to that of an F-18. Made my whole day.:p::D

My friend and VAF member, flew F-18s in the Canadian Air Force. He did the test flights and checked me out on mine. He is the only other person on the insurance and has a standing invitation to fly it whenever he wants.

I'm sure it's not quite the same as the Hornet, but he sure seems to enjoy himself whenever he takes it up.

I think there are a few Hornet drivers on the forums here who may be able to give us some insight. :)

It was 15 years for me from the Hornet to my RV, with a buttload of mostly Cessna 172 time in between. The RV makes me say "THIS is how a plane is supposed to FEEL!" It is the roll and pitch rate that does it. Lacks a little thrust to weight (I know, sounds like a personal problem!), but bang for the buck, it works.

RV:D often!

The RV is a little lighter on the controls, but both airplanes share one quality; they both allow you to experience every aspect of flight; all attitudes, right side up, upside down, almost on a whim. Very liberating.

Back