What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Tip: Exiting Configuration Mode

eehite

Wanted to share a tip that I got from the G3Xpert guys: to reboot a GDU370/375, hold the left and right softkeys and tap the range up key. This is really useful for switching in and out of config mode (by holding the left softkey during the reboot) without shutting off power to the plane.

Last edited:
Does this actually re-boot the EFIS or just toggle in and out of config mode?
I have had to re-boot my G3X system a couple times in flight as it locked up when it was drawing the map. I had to shut down my panel which turned all avionics off to re-boot. Thought I might just add a momentary push button "off" switch on the panel to do this. :(

David,
That lock-up thing doesn't sound good.
I have not heard of others with this problem on the G3X.
Is this locking the whole MFD or just that page? Is your PFD still functioning correctly during the lock-up? Is your AHARS calibrating correctly with the reboot during flight?

David,
You should not have this sort of lockup. As far as I know, Garmin has addressed all of the lockup issues they had early on in the development. Make sure you are running the latest version of the software, which is version 8.5. It can be downloaded here
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00G3X-00&ra=true.

If you have the latest version of software, I would give Garmin a call to discuss your specific configuration. I know they would be interested in running this to ground

Did you do your own wiring harness? Does this happen a specific times of flight? Most importantly, can you force this to happen with any sort of frequency? BTW, pin 25 on the GDU370/5 will force a reversionary mode.

Last edited:
Its just the map drawing that locks-up. The GPS map page is blank and the screen has "Drawing Map" in upper left but it stays that way. Checking the satellite page shows good reception. I have waited several minutes until I finally re-boot and it then works as it should. All three screens are down for any map features when it happens. Currently I am running 8.4. I downloaded version 8.5 the other day on the SD card and will install next time I am at the hanger. We got a good snow storm today so it will probably be a few days before I can fly the plane. Everything is configured. I have about 18 hours on the plane now in Phase 1 and it has happened twice. The last time was on my last test flight. I'll practice the three finger salute to make sure that works.

Another G3X tip...entering config mode while powered up.

I don't know if this is obvious from the above, but to enter the config mode after power up (like if you forget to hold down the left softkey), you hold the left and right softkeys down while moving the range switch momentarily UP. The only difference is that you continue holding the left softkey down after releasing the other keys until entering the config mode. This is handy if you are going in and out of config mode during calibration exercises and the screens are powered up, so you don't have to shut down each time.

Its just the map drawing that locks-up. The GPS map page is blank and the screen has "Drawing Map" in upper left but it stays that way. Checking the satellite page shows good reception. I have waited several minutes until I finally re-boot and it then works as it should. All three screens are down for any map features when it happens. Currently I am running 8.4. I downloaded version 8.5 the other day on the SD card and will install next time I am at the hanger. We got a good snow storm today so it will probably be a few days before I can fly the plane. Everything is configured. I have about 18 hours on the plane now in Phase 1 and it has happened twice. The last time was on my last test flight. I'll practice the three finger salute to make sure that works.

Hello Dave,

We had one other report like this from a customer with a very similar installation to yours that we were unable to reproduce.

We will contact you directly with some questions that might help us reproduce this issue.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

I have that issue when i select a user waypoint on the gtn-650 and i know another g3x here that have the same problem.

Does this actually re-boot the EFIS or just toggle in and out of config mode?
I have had to re-boot my G3X system a couple times in flight as it locked up when it was drawing the map. I had to shut down my panel which turned all avionics off to re-boot. Thought I might just add a momentary push button "off" switch on the panel to do this. :(

I am having the same symptoms with my g3x non touch. Not only is the gps very slow to paint but all mfd functions (not the pfd ADARHS although) are slow to operate and intermittently lags severely. I just updated the database and no improvement. The cold weather has never been a problem for me in the past two years of operation. Did you ever find the cause of your issues? Thanks

I am having the same symptoms with my g3x non touch. Not only is the gps very slow to paint but all mfd functions (not the pfd ADARHS although) are slow to operate and intermittently lags severely. I just updated the database and no improvement. The cold weather has never been a problem for me in the past two years of operation. Did you ever find the cause of your issues? Thanks

Kevin,
Several of the posts in this thread are several years old. The fastest way to track this down is to contact us directly via email at the below address. Please include any recent system changes, components connected to the MFD and the software version you are running. If you have a recent datalog, please also provide that.
Thanks,
Levi

Yes, I got the bug worked out with the help of the g3xperts. IIRC, the 8.5 update fixed the issue. I sold the plane with all the records a couple years ago so I can't verify, but if my memory is correct, the g3xpert figured the 8.4 may have been corrupt. It never acted up again.

Back