What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel return on 0-360 RV-7

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I am doing some work on an RV7 with an O-360 Lycoming on it. I find it unusual that there is a 1/4 inch fuel return line from the manifold where you install the FP sensor running down the inside of the firewall and I suspect it "T"s into the main fuel line between the selector.

I think it will cause problems with the FP readings and think I should remove it.
Any advise please?

Carburator Temp

I have a second question - does someone have a picture of where to install the carb temp sensor from Dynon please?

Happy Thanks Giving for you all in the USA. :)

Done some further research and decided to take out the fuel return plumbing and fittings.

Still hoping someone will help me with a picture of where to install the carb temp sensor.

I don't have a picture but there is a threaded fitting on the front side of the carb, very close to where it bolts to the sump, that the temperature probe screws into.

I am doing some work on an RV7 with an O-360 Lycoming on it. I find it unusual that there is a 1/4 inch fuel return line from the manifold where you install the FP sensor running down the inside of the firewall and I suspect it "T"s into the main fuel line between the selector.

I think it will cause problems with the FP readings and think I should remove it.
Any advise please?

I encourage you to research the use of the fuel return line before removing. I installed one on the RV-6 I am building. It allows for fuel flow in heat soaked conditions to avoid vapor lock and other fuel vapor related issues. Mine has a valve in the cockpit and it will only flow during startup and Taxi in heat soak or high ambient conditions. I also have a .040" orifice in the circuit to limit flow in case the valve is left open.

Larry

Thank you

Thank you guys!
I saw the small screw and thought it might be that.

On the return line - WILLCO.

Report back

Well I have now done the best research I could have done - I hope. Phoned a number of owners including the best known RV owner and builder (in my opinion) in SA and again looked at the plans.

The news I that this fuel return came out yesterday and the fuel system restored as per Vans plans for the reasons mentioned earlier. :)

In summary again - a return to a point between the fuel selector and Facet pump is not really a return. Secondly you will never get good FP readings this way.

I plumbed a return on my carb setup (back to tank) controlled by a primer valve. Hot starts in the heat of Texas leave the fuel system vulnerable to vapor lock, worked perfect.
I switched over to AFP FI and now use thier purge valve.

IMG_4385a.jpg

Back