What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Lights

Hello gentlemen/ladies;
My first post.
I am a Lancair owner and wanted to see if the RV folks had explored any landing light solutions.
I have a pair of Bulbrite lamps* (only 1050 lumens) in my engine cowl inlet and would like something brighter.
I will post a photo shortly.
First, I want to try putting something in the same location rather than re-wiring and installing landing gear lamps or cutting into wingtips etc.
So we need something less than 4" wide and 2.5" high, 3" deep roughly.
I am thinking greater than 5000 lumens.
My system is 28V. A mounting bracket would need to be found, or made.
What are you using?
Thanks!

*I currently have: BulbriteXP 641175 ("Dichroic Halogen, EYF/24 GU5.3 N.spot")

Last edited:
BRIGHT lights!

I recently installed Aerosun Vx LED lights in the wingtips of my RV-10. Prior to that I had the standard Vans landing lights and then I upgraded to the HID lights from DuckWorks. They were a lot better but still not bright enough for my liking. The Aerosun Vx's have three positions, taxi, landing and wig-wag. Last Tuesday, after we went off daylight savings time, I flew the aircraft at night for the first time with the new lights and it was AMAZING! The Boeing 747 has 36,000 lumens and these put out 13,200 plus. Let me tell you it was BRIGHT and I couldn't be happier. I thought that the wig wag might be distracting on final but that was not the case and other aircraft can see you coming for miles away. It was a lot of hours work to put these into the aircraft but it was more than worth it. Check out the link to their site, they also have other lights that may work for you.

https://aeroleds.com/products/aerosun-vx-vans-rv-wingtip-mounting/

Voltage

I forgot to mention that the Aerosun Vx landing lights that I mentioned in the post above can run on a voltage from 9 to 40 volts which would eliminate one of your problems.

just to clarify - you are looking for a solution for your existing COWL Mount? Not sure there are too many RVs out there with cowl mounted Landing lights. most cut a whole in the wing but recently there are products that mount in the wings tips. AeroSun as previous poster showed and/or FLYLEDs.

Baja Designs would be my suggestion... Currently running two of their larger 4 bulb designs, but the 2 bulb should fit into your installation. 2,450 Lumen.

They're popular... And bright.

Would have to overcome that whole 24v thing and step it down to 12v.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S2-Pro-LED-Light-Black-Flush-Mount.asp

I called and their tech help said these will break down at altitude; they are not designed for pressure changes! But they will work with a 28V system. The bulbs are not replaceable, it is a unit.

Last edited:
They're not "designed" for pressure changes... As they are not "aircraft" lights.

But there are plenty of us using them effectively. Go with what you would like.

They're not "designed" for pressure changes... As they are not "aircraft" lights.

But there are plenty of us using them effectively. Go with what you would like.

Ah. Thanks. It did sound less of a general warning than a specific one - but I did wonder about that.
Nice to have your input.

Back