- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up Awesome new headset! CQ1 from Card Machine Works

Iíve had the privilege of flying with a new in-the-ear headset for a few months. It was designed after years of frustration with the offerings from the two established in-ear headset manufacturers. The best part is that the CQ1 is manufactured and marketed within the VAF family; Tanya and Scott Card. Iím not sure what CQ stands for, but in my mind itís Card Quality. Card Machine Works is now a paid advertiser on the site, headsets are now for sale, and I feel like I can out them. I get extremely energized by watching people identify problems and create solutions. It's even better when we all benefit from the results!

Iíve been flying with the CQ1 for a few months. The noise cancelling microphone makes a huge difference in the quality of communication and the speakers have the quality to match. Right after Christmas I made my first IMC approach into the LA area. it was such a relief to have consistent clear communication capability without having to mess with my headset. The kids in the back seat donít comply with the sterile cockpit rule, so the headset mike has to do double duty filtering out airplane noise and kids excited about arriving at Disneyland. Communication with SoCal approach and the tower was never a problem.

The CQ1 is visually similar to some other offerings, but one touch or a closer inspection reveal the enormous differences. The differences are even more obvious at first use. The frame is more robust and stays where you put it. The cables are high quality with a Kevlar core. The controls are simply amazing! No more finding the tiny sweet spot in the volume knob that allows both speakers to work simultaneously! The mike is fundamental game changer with its noise cancelling capability. It stays EXACTLY where you put it with no spring back. Thereís no auxiliary input, that feature is easily addressed by simple adapters and most intercoms and audio panels have wired and / or Bluetooth inputs anyway.

My fear is that this post reads like an advertisement. Itís not; I am however excited about the product and what its creators have done. I like it well enough that we have bought a second CQ1 for my pilot wife. I own two Bose A-20s because theyíre quality, they fit the kids, and they will for years. I own a Lightspeed Zulu II which was an expensive failed experiment. Quality is good, but they interfere with sunglasses and hats, and they clamp my dainty ears; a fault they share with the Bose. I have primarily flown with the Quiet Technologies headset because itís more comfortable than anything that clamps my head. It was also fickle, temperamental, and of mediocre quality. I have tested all 4 headsets back-to-back and Tanya and Scottís CQ1 offering is the best, hands down.

I find in-the-ear headsets quieter than ANR in RVs, especially when glasses and hats are in the mix to break the seal with my head. I can hear the cancelling feature in ANR headsets and find it tiring and a bit nauseating. There was a post here recently about that, so I'm not the only one. Ear tips and ear plugs are a very personal thing. They also have to be inserted correctly to work. I roll my own using Howard Leight earplugs because they work well for me. I think Card Machine Works have a few other suggestions. I use the same basic plugs for flying, motorcycling, woodworking, machine work, and even at my day job at times. Itís on my list to make a video describing my process. Now that Iíve stated that publicly, maybe Iíll follow through.

Here's a link to their website. There is much more detailed information there. https://cqheadset.com/

Here's a photo:

Here's a photo of one on my ugly mug. I've since refined the positioning on my head.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Nice!

Thanks for the write-up, Guy. Looks like a winner.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Nice! I had to sell my QT Halos due to the mic not filtering out noise.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Your host.

Default Soon to be VAF advertiser....

....I'm waiting on the ad <g>.

v/r,dr
Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Default CQ Headset

Well, I had posted this before but I will say it again. If you are looking for a step up with an in the ear headset you will not be disappointed with the CQ1. It is all I have been flying with some time. Yesterday went out and did gentleman's aerobatics (Loops, rolls, split s, etc) pulling up to 4 G's and once I was headed home noticed I did not have to adjust my headset and more importantly adjust the boom mic. It works in the G environment and is very comfortable on XC as well. Really a fine improvement!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 PM

Do the speakers provide any special processing (available for hearing aids) to improve speech intelligibility for those of use with various frequency range deficiencies?

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 PM

Wow, thanks Guy for such kind and considered comments about the CQ Headset, and then to back it up with an order for a second headset!

We have been a part of the community for over a decade and have shared many of our RV adventures. All those hours in the air to far away lands or just for a few minutes of drilling holes in the sky involve a headset on the head, preferably one that you love instead of one that you've had to settle for. We have been in search of the CQ1 for many years and are excited to share it with our community.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Bill, I sent you a PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Default Vs. QT Halos

Wow, how interesting. I've been flying with the QT Halos for several years now having found that they are better at noise suppression (and much, much cheaper) than my Zulus. I've been happy with them with minor issues but overall love them. So talk me into why I should try these? What are the specifics that make them better than the Halos. I seem to recall the Cards used Halos for quite a while also.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Default CQ Headset

Just got off the phone with Tanya and purchased a set. I look forward to seeing how they work in my little bird! These will replace my David Clarks.
RV6-A - (tail sold)
Kolb Firestar KXP (sold)
Sonex Onex (N153TD) Flying