Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
It's $3145 per person, plus the extra $495 for the airplane registration, eAPIS etc). If my wife was going (she hates airplanes), it would be a no go---too expensive.
eApis is free. $495???
Flying as of August 14, 2015
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
https://www.martin.fl.us/Customs

Just south of ft pierce is my home airport. Customs has a new facility opening. $30 single engine fee. Check it out.
Just curious... How do they get away with charging $30? Itís free at KFPR and every other customs facility, assuming you already have the decal.
Hicks Airfield T67
Fort Worth, Texas
--- and sometimes ---
Pittstown Point - MYCP
Crooked Island, Bahamas

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. 2018 DUES PAID

Old 12-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Check out 310 Pilot on Youtube. He and his wife are air traffic controllers and have just posted a whole series of videos where they went to the Bahama's with their 310. Looks like you could get some good ideas from them. Even if not you might enjoy the scenery on the videos.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
Check out this series of seven videos documenting the first trip to the Bahamas by a husband and wife who BOTH are air traffic controllers. Unlike a lot of travel videos, this couple share with us the radio transmissions as well as the in-flight conversations, so they give us a really good introduction to communicating with ATC in the Bahamas. They go to three different islands in this week-long adventure.

If you're pressed for time, you can skip ahead to subsequent videos to hear their conversations after they get to the islands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLYSCjCoYP8

Definitely entertaining and educational for those of you planning to make this trip.
Don beat me to it and I did not notice. Sorry!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 12-19-2018, 01:31 PM

Question What did you guys spend "about" for just you to go to the Bahamas?

Let me start over on this topic again, as I kinda murdered the english when writing before. First off, to Mike F on post 22, I guess they're charging that 30 bucks, because they're doing it for you.

Now for the subject matter:

I'm thinking about going on one of those Air Journey trips to the Bahamas, Feb 10 plus 9 days. 5 islands. All the accommodations, food, and taxis, Air Journey wing leader are included. You buy your own fuel.Could I do it myself cheaper? Of course. But what I like is the idea of several airplanes, so if someone goes down, the rest can circle til the Coast Guard chopper gets there.

Price: $3145 per person. My wife doesn't like airplanes, or it would be $6290, which would be out of the question.

plus $495 for plane registration: Here's the quote from them on what the $495 gets you:

Plane Registration Includes:
Extensive Navigation log tailored for each aircraft (airports, route, frequencies, airspace info, nav-aids, reporting points, international flight plans)
Flight plans and eAPIS manifest (departure and arrival) filed on your behalf
Pilot briefing prior to each day's flight
Weather website with constant updates showing TAF, METAR, Wind Aloft, prognastic forecast and review
Fuel availability confirmed along the route of flight
Flight bag and collared, cotton shirt for the pilot with his name and aircraft tail number embroidered on the upper front. Additional shirts are available for passengers and crew at an additional cost.

So $3640 total.

What I'd like to find out is, for you guys who have already done this, about what did it cost you---just you---not including your wife.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:04 PM

Default islands

I have been 5 times. Always LOVE it.
A couple tips if i can. First if you look up the out island website, they will give you a true refund of $300 off your bill if you stay at one of the listed places for 4 nights, $150 if only two nights. Places that dont participate in that, always have pilot discounts, just ask.
There are "flying ambassadors" that are compensated by the bahamas to help you. You can google them and find a close one. Their job is to help you get it done. Also, banyan aviation in lauderdale really pumps it and will send you a nice package with forms and info, i believe bahamas tourism will too. Get it ordered, all free and fun to help plan.
I have been to pretty much all the land-able islands. Hope town area is very nice if you want busy hustle bustle , and lots of rich folks, short water taxi to marsh harbour.
Staniel Cay is awesome and gets you to the thunderbolt grotto and swimming pigs but again much busier and pricey place to stay. What we LOVE is the really quiet, not touristy places. Exuma is a nice mix, you can find some rental homes and really relax. If even more relaxed...black point is quiet and nice. Cape Santa maria is our true fav. Amazing. Same island as Stella Marias. Lots of other good places. Pittstown was good before hurricane, not sure now. Good people. Hawksnest is a fav of some of our friends but the beach isnt great, few other spots on cat islands folks seem to like. So many choices, non bad. Do ensure you have some basic snacks with you. Just dont like feeling stuck and hungry when the few restaurants are closed for no apparent reason and you are starving. Just an island thing.
I will agree ft pierce is sucky for customs. We have had really bad and ok experiences there. Ft lauderdale exec has been better but just depends on the agent i guess. May try this new option listed as a bad customs experience really sours one for a few days. I would think management of customs would be all over that. They have a job to do, no issue, but they dont need to be knobs. Doesnt make sense. Enjoy the trip

Osh 11,12,15,17. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 5 trips and 15 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM

I would never sign onto one of those. I would maybe find another plane to tag team with and enjoy that. I dont like the big groups and it is WAY WAY easier then you can imagine. Plan ahead, get the packages and get her done. It is intimidating...until you do it once. Eapis and international flight plan is simple. Once you get into Bahamas air....wow vacation is on and its easy peasy. Landing at the little quiet airports is so relaxing. Many of the small islands have their own customs and we have found them very relaxed and pleasant. Marsh is much busier, and hit or miss for a good customs experience.

Osh 11,12,15,17. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 5 trips and 15 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Banyan information link

https://www.banyanair.com/flying-you...o-the-bahamas/

Hope you make your trip.
Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Places to stay

Have flown down several times a couple of our favorites are Fernandez Bay Resort and Tailwinds both on Cat Island. Anyplace on Eleuthera especially around Governors Harbor.
RV10
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 AM

Just an update for anyone else who might be considering this. My whole reason for being interested in this "group" flyout, was I thought everyone would be flying a loose gaggle, so that if anyone had an engine failure, and went in the water, there would be eyes overhead to bring in the Coast Guard chopper. Well it turns out, they have one plane take off every 10 minutes, ie no gaggle, you're flying solo. Totally kills the whole concept for me.

Don't want to tell anyone else what to do, this is just me.