VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Bahama trip in Jan/Feb 2019

I am planning a trip to the Bahamas in late January of early Feb. time frame. I am looking for something between Nassau and Stella Maris with reasonably priced accommodations and preferably beach access if not beach front.

Any and all recommendations and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Dual GRT 8.4" EFIS, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, Dual EI's

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Staniel Cay

Ivan,
I took the wife and kids on a island hopping trip to the Bahamas in the -10 in January of this year. We spent a few days in each place, beginning with Treasure Cay, then Staniel Cay and ending with Stella Maris. They were all nice, but we fell in love with Staniel Cay. The facilities and the people at Staniel Cay Yacht Club were outstanding. They have a small beach but we used the skiff provided with our bungalow to get to nearby islands with spectacular beaches. The folks at the resort would pack lunch in a cooler so we could head off and explore in the boat. While not inexpensive, the all-in cost was comparable to Stella Maris when we factored in the meals and car rental required there.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Default MYBG

I’d recommend Great Harbour Cay. Got an AirBnb right on the beach for a week last April and it was a blast. Not an island for night life or planned activities but a whole lot of peace and quiet. You’ll have the beach to yourself 99% of the time. Couple of restaurants but most cooking was done at the house. Couple of grocery stores and a few liquor stores for beer, wine and adult beverages. Fresh fish most days when you go to the marina or you can do some serious fly fishing in the Beryl Islands. Got a beater rental car to get around this 7 mile Long Island. Nice paved runway but no fuel. Customs there too but hours are spotty. We cleared at North Eleuthera and topped off on fuel there. 25 minute flight to MYBG. On the way home we cleared customs at Ft. Pierce and that was the worst part of our trip. The Customs folks at KFPR are the biggest jerks on the planet. Given a choice I would go elsewhere next time.
Have fun!
Flying as of August 14, 2015
Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 AM

https://www.martin.fl.us/Customs

Just south of ft pierce is my home airport. Customs has a new facility opening. $30 single engine fee. Check it out.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 12-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Default What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
I’d recommend Great Harbour Cay. Got an AirBnb right on the beach for a week last April and it was a blast. Not an island for night life or planned activities but a whole lot of peace and quiet. You’ll have the beach to yourself 99% of the time. Couple of restaurants but most cooking was done at the house. Couple of grocery stores and a few liquor stores for beer, wine and adult beverages. Fresh fish most days when you go to the marina or you can do some serious fly fishing in the Beryl Islands. Got a beater rental car to get around this 7 mile Long Island. Nice paved runway but no fuel. Customs there too but hours are spotty. We cleared at North Eleuthera and topped off on fuel there. 25 minute flight to MYBG. On the way home we cleared customs at Ft. Pierce and that was the worst part of our trip. The Customs folks at KFPR are the biggest jerks on the planet. Given a choice I would go elsewhere next time.
Have fun!
Any chance you would expound on what happened with customs? I am planning to go down next month too. Was thinking about clearing at Fort Peirce. In looking at everything I need to to do to be ready, I read I need 12" N-Numbers. Mine are about "8 and I am squaking ADS-B, so they know who I am without even flying up next to me. I called down to Fort Pierce and talked to a Customs guy who said it was not big deal unless they were tiny numbers unless I got a hard *** agent. And then he would not really do anything except complain. Said he had never seen anyone fined or anything. I might go ahead and change out for bigger numbers so there is no reason to hassle me...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 AM

Talking numbers

The aviation paint dept of HD or Lows has 2 inch wide blue aircraft number stripping tape that is certified to 200Kts ground speed.
2019 dues exempt but paid anyhow
F100, A7D, A10, F16,
Fokker, Boeing, McDonnell-Douglas
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Default I have some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweyclawson View Post
The aviation paint dept of HD or Lows has 2 inch wide blue aircraft number stripping tape that is certified to 200Kts ground speed.
Thought about that but my wife is a stickler for fashion...
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Avoid KFPR Customs

KFPR Customs synopsis:

They open at 1000 so we filed to arrive at that time. Coming over West End airport, got a shortcut from Miami Center, direct KFPR which shaved off 15 minutes of flight time. Landed at 0945 and parked in front of Customs waiting for them to open. A Mooney arrived 5 minutes after us to park and wait also. They finally opened at 1015, no big deal, we were still on island time. Wheeled our stuff inside and while we waited for them to get set up, the agent with the sniffer box, poked his head in the office and asked “who’s the pilot for N151TK?” I respond that’s me. Zero acknowledgement but he tells agent number two to issue a citation to me for arriving early. I protest and agent one says “you could be hauling drugs and if you land early we would not know about it. You’re getting a ticket”. I had to bite my tongue to not say “listen here &#$@!, IF I was hauling drugs, I wouldn’t be standing here waiting for you to open late.” I stayed quiet and took my lumps while agent one and two proceeded with the same act on the couple that arrived right after us.
Finished our paperwork, proceeded to the metal detector and X-ray machine. I asked agent three where I needed to go pay my fine. He was really nice, waived us through and told us to forget about the whole issue.
I clear Customs on a regular basis in my day job and I have NEVER come across agents that were as rude as the first two agents. KFPR, never again!!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Oracal 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkersey View Post
In looking at everything I need to to do to be ready, I read I need 12" N-Numbers. Mine are about "8 and I am squaking ADS-B...
I used a product called Oracal 631 that worked great for temporary 12” numbers (someone else on this forum had recommended this). I’ve got military markings on the fuselage so I used a black sheet of Oracal then placed the white numbers on top. I installed them prior to leaving TN on our trip. Nothing fancy, but I made cardboard templates and cut them by hand. Survived the whole 10 days through rain, sun and 200kt speeds. Removed them when I got back home with zero residue.

https://www.amazon.com/ORACAL-Matte-...31+vinyl+white

Last edited by Carlos151 : 12-17-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Kristensen View Post
I am planning a trip to the Bahamas in late January of early Feb. time frame. I am looking for something between Nassau and Stella Maris with reasonably priced accommodations and preferably beach access if not beach front.

Any and all recommendations and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know what you consider reasonable prices, but Cape Santa Maria on Long Island is my and my wife's favorite Bahamas resort. Wonderful beach, great food, great bone fishing when the weather is cooperative. We love the place.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com