What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about fuel tank bracket

219PB

Well Known Member
I need some clarification. I am installing the fuel tank bracket F-696 to the fuselage. The instruction manual states to drill the hole between F-696 to the one on the fuel tank T-405 with a "D" size drill bit to maintain a snug fit to the bolt. Then it states to slot the hole on T-405 as shown on drawing 46. I have seen the slot cut on pictures on the forum but my drawing 46 does not show the slot. Why would Van's have the hole drilled to a precision "D" size and then slot it (ruining the snug fit)? I cannot see the problem with leaving the hole drilled to the "D" size and leave it that way. I realize that the design may have evolved, my kit was a late 90's version. What the latest method that others have done?

The "snug fit" hole is to resist the tendency of the wing to twist, in the same fashion as the rear spar. Under different in flight wing loading conditions, the wing will want to twist, or rotate, about the axis of the wing spar. That snug fit helps to prevent that twist.

The slot is to allow (hopefully) the wing to bend backwards in the unfortunate event of going through trees (or whatever) and not rupturing the end board section of the fuel tank.

Your plans, like mine, are out of date. My wings are the same age and the drawing does not show the slot. The newer plans do show the slot on that drawing.

Buy the correct set

Anyone still building a Six can benefit by purchasing the Preview plans for the Seven. The plans SHOW where things go with great instructions and drawings. You just need to adapt them for use on your Six, and know that not all is the same between the seven and the six. Use in conjunction with the six instructions.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1421053328-132-612&browse=videos&product=ppset

No, order the -6 instructions from Vans if you are building a 6.

The new preview plans on the CD have the extra applicable -7,-9 drawings added for reference, as well as the latest updates for the -6 drawings.

The slot in the tank attach is shown on sheet 46 "Wing/Fuselage Attach" of the latest -6 drawings the new CD.

On the subject of fuel tank brackets, this might help -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=115914

Last edited:
Back