What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does the -4 need gear leg stiffeners?

SJordan

Well Known Member
Been reading the thread on wheel shimmy on the -3 and its got me wondering if I will need gear leg stiffeners on my -4. I'm at that point of the build and was not planning on putting them on but maybe should? So is everyone running them on the -4 or is it more of a wait and see thing? Any advice and experience would be appreciated.

Shawn

There's tons in the archives. Since I began using better (probably rounder, better balanced) tires and keeping pressures up, shimmy hasn't been a problem without the stiffeners.

FYI

A friend and I finished our 4's at about the same time, I had dampeners as per plans and he didn't. His would shimmy but mine never did. I fly a 3A now and it will shimmy at times, new balanced tires helped a lot. I am going to up date the pants this winter and will be putting dampeners on.

After 400 hours in my RV 4 without gear stiffeners...no shimmy. During the build, I was preparing to make the stiffeners. My experienced RV mentor builder
said you won't need them if your set up is accurate. He was right.

Thanks for the reply’s guys. Sounds like I should just wait and see how it goes. The stiffeners don’t appear to be an item that would be hard to add after the build. Thanks Again for the help.

Shawn.

Back