What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 1/4 Radio

n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with the 2 1/4 radios that would fit in the instrument panel? XCom etc.

thx

I have (have had) and used Xcom, FlightLine, MGL and Microair. Also some of the gliders I tow use Beckers. All good radios. I currently use a Flightline in my Pitts S1C--flawless performance for the last 4 years, though I don't use the built in intercom. In the Thorp I had I used the Xcom and the built in intercom--worked great. I like the fact that the Microair and Xcom have the extended receive range, i.e. you can receive the VOR frequencies on them--good for getting weather at some of the VOR stations when traveling cross country. The Flightline doesn't have that feature. The Xcom has supposedly a slightly more powerful transmitter than the others. I understand the Trig radios are very good too, but I don't have experience. I know some friends in Europe that use Trig transponders, and like them very much. I use also a MGL V6 in another open cockpit biplane. While I like the features, the volume of the output of this radio is just not good enough for that noisy open cockpit. FWIW....

I have an Xcom in my -9, with the Dynon audio hooked into it and love it.

The only downside I have noticed is a small 'clicking' noise when receiving on the standby frequency. Presumably it is caused by the switching of the standby frequency hyphen and could be cured by a small capacitor or something, but it does help to indicate what frequency you're listening to without looking at the radio.

2 1/4 radio

I have had a Microair (just removed for a panel upgrade) that worked great. I will miss it but it doesn't talk to my EFIS. It is for sale if you are looking for one.

John
RV-8

Back