What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super confused on bolt identification

Looking at AN 509-10R24 on the elevator. I assume that it's a #10 bolt with a torque value of 20-25 inch pounds. But it's a half guess.

The "509" part confuses me when I look at the table in the builder's manual. It has AN5, but no AN509. Dumb question I'm sure.

If AN3 that I used in the rudder has an entry in the torque table, why doesn't AN509 if it isn't an AN5 derivative.

Also, do you torque the screws (AN507-6R6) that go in the trim cover plate nuts? Or do plate nuts not need a particular torque value?

Hard to believe I've done a good job of building so far without knowing this basic stuff.

A AN509 is not a bolt it is a machine screw . A AN 507 is non structural and the AN 509 is structural. The 10 is a 3/16 diameter and the 24 is the length. Someone will have to tell you what the R is for, I forget. A good reference to have on hand that I use all the time is an Aircraft Spruce Catalog.

A AN509 is not a bolt it is a machine screw . A AN 507 is non structural and the AN 509 is structural. The 10 is a 3/16 diameter and the 24 is the length. Someone will have to tell you what the R is for, I forget. A good reference to have on hand that I use all the time is an Aircraft Spruce Catalog.

bolt vs. screw. I guess they let anyone who can write a check build an RV. :D

So where do I find the torque value for the AN509 screw that goes in the elevator counterweight?

But to answer his question...

a #10 screw is the same size as an AN3 bolt, so you would torque the *nut* to 20-25 in-lbs.

Not having a torque screwdriver (much as I'd like to justify getting one of the cool Snap-On ones), I don't recall any place on the aircraft that really needed one. For torqueing the AN3 hardware, though, I found the 10-50 in-lb CDI (Snap-On division) torque wrench invaluable (there are a lot of those on the plane).

ETA: One other thing...when I put the elevator tips and the rudder top fiberglass piece on, I made sure to add epoxy to help capture the lead weights, as well, so that (theoretically) if the nut somehow managed to come loose, the lead weight should stay where it is because it's "glued" in place. YMMV. Note also that many people (me included) add a platenut to the inside of the elevator tip rib so that if they need to add weight after paint or whatever, you can just use a bolt and some additional weights at that location. IIRC, there's a tooling hole there that serves as a handy location.

Last edited:
bolt vs. screw. I guess they let anyone who can write a check build an RV. :D

So where do I find the torque value for the AN509 screw that goes in the elevator counterweight?

Both the steel versions of the AN509 screws and the AN3 bolts are made from steel with a minimum tensile strength of 125,000 psi. They also have the same cadmium plating.

Same material, so use the same torques...:)

Disagreed

The AN 509 / MS24694 have the same strength as an AN Bolt, 125 ksi.

Back