What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I paint bolts ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Prepping for paint. Thinking of painting , for example, aileron attachment brackets separate from the ailerons and then attaching with unpainted bolts ( An3-4 )

This would look nice but would also allow for possible future removal of bracket if necessary. Also would apply to fuel tank forward attach bracket to fuselage etc, etc.

Thoughts

Peter

Last edited:
I wouldn't

Just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't paint bolts. Takes up too much time, plus it's just going to make the plane "age" faster - anytime you touch a bolt you're going to lose some paint, which will just make the plane look more beat up than it really is. But that's just an opinion from a non-builder. :)

If you have a layer of paint under the bolt or nut head it is softer than metal, and at a later time you may lose some torque.

I know it's a no-no to have any paint under cylinder hold down nuts.

Only the heads

Bolts and screws use friction to be effective. Don't paint under the heads or the threads. Paint or any lubricant reduces the setting factor and can lead to bolt stretch due to over-torquing.

Paul

A thought ......

Bolts should only painted after they are cleaned and installed.

Back