What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What tool to install cherry max?

sblack

Well Known Member
I have tried installing cherry max with a cheapo HF pneumatic pull riveter and the stems get stuck. Is there a mod I can do to the tool to fix that? Or should I be using a different tool? I don't mind if the mod makes the tool unusable for regular pop rivets. Any advice appreciated.

for low amounts

I use a marson handgun for small jobs
we have small packs of 10 and 25 packs
call Tamara 805-239-3169

I am off site today.

Cherrymax

I have tried installing cherry max with a cheapo HF pneumatic pull riveter and the stems get stuck. Is there a mod I can do to the tool to fix that? Or should I be using a different tool? I don't mind if the mod makes the tool unusable for regular pop rivets. Any advice appreciated.

I use my standard manual puller no problem. I've also pulled them with my close quarter manual even though the instructions say it might not work.

I use my standard manual puller no problem. I've also pulled them with my close quarter manual even though the instructions say it might not work.

+1

I also used my standard manual puller for the few that I put in. Much tougher to pull it through, but worked fine. I am not surprised that the pnuematic puller isn't strong enough.

Larry

Its more than strong enough, it's just that the serrated jaws behind the nose piece won't suurender the stem after it pulls the rivet. I have to dismantle the dang gun after every one. Not terribly practical.

Not sure if the HF pneumatic rivet puller is similar, but the jaws on the one I have are adjustable inside. On mine you would remove loosen a lock nut and extend the jaw mechanism outward slightly. This would then contact the nose piece earlier and release the grip on the stem more... YMMV...

Its more than strong enough, it's just that the serrated jaws behind the nose piece won't suurender the stem after it pulls the rivet. I have to dismantle the dang gun after every one. Not terribly practical.

I had a rivet puller which started doing that. I never could figure it out. A new rivet puller fixed the problem.

I use a marson handgun for small jobs
we have small packs of 10 and 25 packs
call Tamara 805-239-3169

I am off site today.

Yep - Marson - 35 yrs old. Works great, small head relative to most new ones too.

It says that it is for 1/8 rivets. I am looking for something to install the 3/32 nut plate rivets. I would guess that it won't work for that?

Works for any cherry rivet including 1/8 cherrymax (and most other 3/32 or 1/8 rivets as well).

Last edited:
The "best" rivet to use for 3/32 for nut plates are CCR264SS-3,-4. They are easy to pull and are a perfect solution to a bucked rivet. Boeing uses them on their planes like free candy! Except they use -10's. I have used the long ones also and they work just as good.

Not sure if the HF pneumatic rivet puller is similar, but the jaws on the one I have are adjustable inside. On mine you would remove loosen a lock nut and extend the jaw mechanism outward slightly. This would then contact the nose piece earlier and release the grip on the stem more... YMMV...

Aha! That's what I was looking for! Thank you!

And thanks to everyone who replied. If I can't adjust my air puller to work I'll cough up for one of the manual units.

Back