What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Control Stick Length with Infinity Grip

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Van's instructions say that the overall length of the front control stick cannot exceed 19". The Infinity grip is roughly 6" long and you are to insert the control stick 2.125" into the grip, leaving another 3.875" to the top of the grip.

The uncut control stick is (from the very bottom to the top) is about 20.5" long, so if you mount the Infinity grip to an uncut stick, the overall length would be 24.375" meaning that you would have to cut 5.375" off the stick to meet Van's instructions. That seems like a lot and I was wondering if anyone could give me a sanity check on this?

Thanks!

I just went through the same calculations for my Tosten grip and decided not to cut anything until I can get the seats installed and the panel in place to know for sure how much I need to cut to clear the range of movement and ergonomics.

So, not much help, but yes I think that's about how much is going to have to come off with these types of grips that have some internal structure in them to extend beyond the normal tube.

I have the Infinity grip on my front stick on the -8. I can't give you dimensions, but the stick needs to be short enough that with the grip installed, It can move forward under the instrument panel. I doubt I could put my thumb on the top hat and do that, but the top hat does clear. I also doubt that in flight you would EVER have the stick that far forward. I haven't looked to see where it is on wheel landing rollout as I keep the tail up. My eyes (and feet) are too busy keeping it going straight.

Having said all that, even with the shortened stick you will have plenty of control authority.

You may want to twist the grip so it's comfortable with your right hand in the flight position.

Don

I put a piece of tube about 4" long into the grip and held it where I thought it should be. I then lined the stick up beside it and marked where the bottom of the 4" tube was. Then add 4" above the mark and cut the stick off. It came out right where I wanted it.

You likely already know, but be careful where you drill the hole for the wire bundle. Lots about that on another thread.

Stick length

I'll hit the hanger this afternoon and measure the stick length.

DSCN21122_zps70fdadd0.jpg

Not only consider the bottom of the panel, but think about items hanging in the avionics: Nose down and to the right the stick hit the bracket holding the VP-X. When I added a SCAT hose for the right panel vent, this also created an obstacle. Once I tightened down the nut securing the swing arm, this increased the height of the stick some more which required removing the stick and trimming more from the top.

My biggest lesson learned is wait until all of the height adjustments are made before threading the wires through the stick.

- Strike

Thanks! I'm hearing that I should wait as long as possible to finish this. I'll probably do just that, but it would be great to see what others have done.
I'll hit the hanger this afternoon and measure the stick length.

DSCN21122_zps70fdadd0.jpg

Not only consider the bottom of the panel, but think about items hanging in the avionics: Nose down and to the right the stick hit the bracket holding the VP-X. When I added a SCAT hose for the right panel vent, this also created an obstacle. Once I tightened down the nut securing the swing arm, this increased the height of the stick some more which required removing the stick and trimming more from the top.

My biggest lesson learned is wait until all of the height adjustments are made before threading the wires through the stick.

- Strike

The first thing to consider is how tall you are going to sit in the plane. Pad the seat with foam until you can comfortably see over the cowl without craning your neck (we're talking tail dragger here). Rest your hand on your leg and grip the stick. That's how you want to be flying, hand/wrist on your leg. Grip the stick and place masking tape just above and just below your hand. Use one half of the Infinity grip and position it next to the stick with the grip portion centered between the masking tape. That will show you where the tube needs to be cut. I just use a heavy duty tubing cutter taking time to go 'round and 'round and tightening until the tube pops off. Believe me it will work just fine to cut the tube. One other thing to consider is ergonomics. The grip should be canted 20-30 degrees. stick the lightly screwed Infinity halves together on the stick tube and rest you hand as if you are flying. You will find a comfortable grip will be rotated and not situated fore and aft inline with the aircraft centerline. Find what feels comfortable and mark it for drilling.

Controls Free and Clear

My MIDO check on controls check must have the explanatory comment, "Controls checked free and clear" to be airworthy.
Thank you. Frank

Van's instructions say that the overall length of the front control stick cannot exceed 19". The Infinity grip is roughly 6" long and you are to insert the control stick 2.125" into the grip, leaving another 3.875" to the top of the grip.

The uncut control stick is (from the very bottom to the top) is about 20.5" long, so if you mount the Infinity grip to an uncut stick, the overall length would be 24.375" meaning that you would have to cut 5.375" off the stick to meet Van's instructions. That seems like a lot and I was wondering if anyone could give me a sanity check on this?

Thanks!

My "extra" stick is cut 14 3/4" from the top to the center of bottom hole and 10 13/16" from the main pivot hole to the top. With the Infinity this gave me about 1/4" clearance between the cross member and the top of the trim button. This stick worked fine for about 2 years when I replaced with a new one because I didn't like the grip rotation angle.

I do recommend that you get your seat completely set up before you cut. I like my right hand to rest on my right thigh when I hold the stick, and this height is dependent on the thickness of your thigh and the seat cushion. I don't remember if the uncut stick clears the cross member, but, if it doesn't, just cut it to clear and then you can fit the Infinity grip last of all.

-John

You want to leave the stick (with grip installed) as long as you can. Going FROM a normal grip TO a military style grip, I noticed a loss (small) of leverage on the stick when menuevering.

The lower your hand is on the stick, the more "felt" force it takes to deflect the ailerons. Its not a large amount, but for me it was noticable. With my old cheap plastic grip, the top of my hand was nearly flush with the top of the stick. Leverage as Van designed it. Control inputs felt relatively light.

With a Military style grip with large top, my hand is now an inch or more lower down the length of the stick. You give up some leverage. Minor leverage. But noticable when you are horsing the bird around.

So, my recommendation would be that regardless of where your hand rests in relaxed cross country flight or in relation to the seat cushions, set your grip as high as you can safely do it IF you plan on throwing the plane around the sky soemday. You can always grip the stick lower in more sedate flight.

Back