What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tubing straightener?

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Anyone know where one can get one cheap? Just don't feel like spending $200
Bux.. Or maybe there is an alternate method... I hate to fab one that looks like a snake...

Jerry

I'm guessing you already own a tube straightener. Cut the tube to length. Straighten by hand as best you can. Lay on bench. Cover with a 2 x 6 or a piece of shelving or whatever. Press down and roll back and forth. Here's a photo.

Tony

Unroll it on a flat surface

What worked for me was to hold the tube roll vertically on a flat surface (kitchen counter?... Don't tell Shirley!). Then hold down the tubing end and unroll what you need as you roll the coil along the flat surface. Works really well...sorry no photos.

Or...

... you could toss that 3000 series tubing from Van's and use 5052-0 tubing instead. It is a better material for the job, especially for applications with significant pressures like brake lines. And conveniently, 5052-0 tubing is typically sold in straight sections, not coiled.

Get Sliding door rollers

Get some sliding door rollers from a local hardware store, mount them to some angle and clamp it in a vise.
IMG_3148.jpg

+1 for 5052

Ditto what Tom and Roee advised: use straight 5052-0 tubing.

I just replaced an oil drain line with new 5052, complete with double flare, three 45 degree changes, and a bead; for a novice like me, it's very nice stuff to work.

After completing the fabrication, I found a replacement online for 10% of what I'd spent on tools, materials, driving to a supplier, and building the line twice;).

My final version is distinctly non-snakelike.

YMMV

Hmmm... I particularly like the door rollers, looks like the same idea as this one http://www.eastwood.com/tube-straightener.html...

Off to Home Depot, Thanx all!

Better yet, practice your bends with the 3003 and then do the final install with the 5052.

I have always used the "rolling pin" technique described below. Works just fine.

Cut the tube to length. Straighten by hand as best you can. Lay on bench. Cover with a 2 x 6 or a piece of shelving or whatever. Press down and roll back and forth. Here's a photo.

Tony

Here's the 'Bearhawk Builders' method for straightening 3003:

Uncoil it as best you can and squeeze one end tightly
in your vice, Then hog down on the other end
with a big pair of Vice Grips. Pull the tubing as
straight as you can and smack the vice grips with a
hammer pulling the tubing taut. That?ll pull the fuel
line as straight as if it came out of a die and makes
it much easier to work with.

It works like a champ.

Get some sliding door rollers from a local hardware store, mount them to some angle and clamp it in a vise.
IMG_3148.jpg

I did not have quick access to the ready made wheels, so made this tool using a 5/8 thick cutting board, cut discs with a hole saw on drill press, then made a 3/8 diameter "tool" and used it on the lathe to make the rolling surfaces on the perimeter of the roller. . The hole saw left a 1/4 in hole in each disc and used some 2X4's to hold the parts with some 1/4 inch bolts. This HDPE board cut so easily that I think a drill press could have been used in place of a lathe.

Then clamped the 2X4's to a backer board, mounted it in the vise, smacked, er - - adjusted, with a hammer and it worked like a charm! About 3-4 passes through the wheels and the tubing was very straight.

It took a good 45 min to make the rollers, and straighten the tubing. About right for the 5 min of using it to straighten a 10ft piece of rolled tubing from Vans. Now I don't mind retasking it later when the tubing work is done.

Educational.

Back