What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RvBits plenum

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone have experience with the RVBits fiberglass plenum ? We would like to lower our CHTs and have closed all the leaks we can find. There maybe more but we are looking for about 15 to 20 degrees F reduction. Thanks in advance.
Phelps

Nice fiberglass

I can say the quality of the fiberglass work is good. Started installing mine yesterday, but can't say as to if it will help lower the temps as I am not flying yet.

Install looks like it is going to be easy.

Does anyone have experience with the RVBits fiberglass plenum ? We would like to lower our CHTs and have closed all the leaks we can find. There maybe more but we are looking for about 15 to 20 degrees F reduction. Thanks in advance.

The whole point of a plenum is to eliminate flap seal leakage. If you have truly closed all the flap seal leaks, adding a plenum will do nothing.

I can say the quality of the fiberglass work is good. Started installing mine yesterday, but can't say as to if it will help lower the temps as I am not flying yet.

Install looks like it is going to be easy.

How does the oil door interface with the plenum? Do you have to build the hole, or does it come with baffling?

John

I have a Sam James plenum on my 195 HP 7 and it works great. I have even CHT's and overheating is never an issue. They are all within 25 degrees of each other. The issue I had was high oil temps in the summer. I solved that with a larger oil cooler and increased the Scat tube to 4 inch. Before that it was a real problem no matter how well i nursed it to altitude.

How does the oil door interface with the plenum? Do you have to build the hole, or does it come with baffling?

John

No need to worry about an oil door in the plenum for 4 cylinder Lycomings. Only 6 cylinder ones. On the 4, the oil filler is aft of cylinder 3 (and the plenum).

Back