What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP Garmin USB data programmer-430W

John Owen

Well Known Member
Good morning,

I just opened and used my new Garmin USB data programmer for my 430W to take advantage of the new data plan package.

First....read the directions. I had several unsuccessful attempts before I broke down and read them. You have to download a program for your Windows computer to talk to the programmer. If you just plug it in, it makes you think that it is downloading a program to make it work with the green bar part way across but, really, nothing is happening. I stared at it until I was cross eyed convincing myself that it might be moving a little.

When you download the programmer, it will ask you for flight plans that you want to import. That takes a little while to realize that you do not need to add anything. You can go to "cancel" and proceed with your download process.

The download process was pretty quick and it verifies it successful. I have not flown it yet but assume that it is correct.

Don't even try it in a Mac. In the height of my frustration, I thought that I would try to try it on my MacBook Air and go with the old internet based system. It wouldn't allow me to even go to the page.

If you have more than one device, this is a nice bundle to use. When I called Garmin to change from my old subscription, they could not have been more friendly or accommodating. I got credit for my remaining data plan and it worked out great. I don't remember what I paid for my old Jepp programmer but this was, I am certain, less cost and seems faster.

John
RV-8

Back