What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Pilots N Paws Rescue

Bullseye

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

The girlfriend and I made our first Pilots N Paws rescue this weekend. It wasn't with my (in progress) RV-7, but it was still an amazing experience.

It went great, and we can't wait to do more.

Here's one picture teaser, but the whole writeup is at the following address:

http://n999za.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/first-pilots-n-paws-rescue/

20100509-atlanta-doberman-030-large.jpg

I couldn't believe how rewarding it was, especially knowing that she was ready to be put down (the Doberman, not my girlfriend).

I just wish I could do a trip every weekend.

I'm hoping my post about my first time will help someone else get involved, too.

For anyone on the invisible fence (ha, dog joke) about starting, email [email protected]. I told them (turned out to be Deborah) it was my first time and she walked me through the whole process. Also, she's going to send me a crate and harness at no charge for future rescues.

Terrific!

Well done Andrew and Pete. I'll never get tired of reading these saving-a-dog stories.

Us RV-8 guys have a bit of a problem doing dog hauling missions, although a passenger with a small dog might work. Hmmm...

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Welcome, George...

...visit www.pilotsnpaws.org and scroll down to "Animals needing transport" or something similar. You also should register with the site and indicate whether you want to fly or keep a dog enroute, for a day or two, while the next pilot finishes his leg. Sometimes WX can interfere.

Dogs, cats, snakes and other critters make multi-leg flights with each airplane doing the length of leg they can handle...usually anything from 150-350 miles.

Thanks,

dogs in 8

If you take out the back seat, the 8 has lots of room for dog crates. I've hauled as many as 6 dogs at one time.

You don't get to do the head on the lap shots that Pete always sends us, but you still get to help!

I just signed up for this very worth while cause because of this post. My hobby is flying, and my wife has shown dogs since she was a little girl, this will mix our hobbies together and give is some quality time doing things we both enjoy.

Thanks for the post and raising awareness!

I just volunteered for my first flight as well. Its a multi-legged run and I volunteered to make the final run in it, I'll post here if that flight comes together and post pics.

Congratulations...and thanks...

...to you guys. They also will provide forms that you fill out that allow you to deduct your expenses on the trip for IRS purposes,

Best,

Back