What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-12si..what battery is being used?

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Does anyone know which battery is being used in the new -12si.

My reason for asking is....has a BMS widget (EarthX battery) been configured for the G3X?

....has a BMS widget (EarthX battery) been configured for the G3X?

Irregardless of the airplane, the EarthX batteries with BMS have a single output that provides a “fault” signal that you can configure to a discrete input. On the GEA24 (engine monitor for the G3X), this input can be configured in setup to a custom alert. I simply have mine say “Battery Fault”. I would guess you should be able to do this on the Dynon system as well.

Irregardless of the airplane, the EarthX batteries with BMS have a single output that provides a ?fault? signal that you can configure to a discrete input. On the GEA24 (engine monitor for the G3X), this input can be configured in setup to a custom alert. I simply have mine say ?Battery Fault?. I would guess you should be able to do this on the Dynon system as well.

I have the G3X system too....wondering how to set it up?

Battery Fault on G3X

DISCLAIMER: my advice is for E-AB or E-LSA that is already airworthy.

I’m not familiar with any special widgets, however the instructions to define a discrete input is in Section 34.4.26.2.2 Discrete Inputs, Page 34-147 in Rev AB of the G3X Installation manual. There are four discrete inputs available on GEA24, and then another 7 or so general purpose inputs that can be configured as discrete inputs.

I connected my inputs on J244 as follows:
Stall Warning: J244 P40
Canopy Open: J244 P41
Spar Pin Open: J244 P42
Battery Fault: J244 P43

The first two are already configured and selectable in the G3X, the spar and battery are custom alerts that take about 5 minutes to configure.

It’s simply a matter of running the device output wire to the respective pin and then identifying that pin for its alert in the G3X EIS setup page.

The canopy alert is fairly sophisticated with inputs from engine rpm (already present) and the canopy switch position. The stall warner provides a visual alert as well as audible.

The battery and spar I have configured to provide a red alert.

These alerts are displayed on the PFD.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: my advice is for E-AB or E-LSA that is already airworthy.

I’m not familiar with any special widgets, however the instructions to define a discrete input is in Section 34.4.26.2.2 Discrete Inputs, Page 34-147 in Rev AB of the G3X Installation manual. There are four discrete inputs available on GEA24, and then another 7 or so general purpose inputs that can be configured as discrete inputs.

I connected my inputs on J244 as follows:
Stall Warning: J244 P40
Canopy Open: J244 P41
Spar Pin Open: J244 P42
Battery Fault: J244 P43

The first two are already configured and selectable in the G3X, the spar and battery are custom alerts that take about 5 minutes to configure.

It’s simply a matter of running the device output wire to the respective pin and then identifying that pin for its alert in the G3X EIS setup page.

The canopy alert is fairly sophisticated with inputs from engine rpm (already present) and the canopy switch position. The stall warner provides a visual alert as well as audible.

The battery and spar I have configured to provide a red alert.

These alerts are displayed on the PFD.

Thanks for the input...it is my understanding the BMS provides various status alerts (I maybe wrong as I have not dug into this); if so...how to configure G3X? FYI...I built E-LSA

Thanks for the input...it is my understanding the BMS provides various status alerts (I maybe wrong as I have not dug into this); if so...how to configure G3X? FYI...I built E-LSA

Glad to help.

The ETX BMS does a lot, but the output fault only provides two indications, excerpt: “The fault output has two states; slow flashing (5 second on/ 5 second off) or solid.” That’s all you’ll get out of the battery monitoring system.

The EarthX manual is pretty good and explains all of the conditions that can cause either a flashing or solid alert. Flashing means “check the battery” (for instance, if the alternator quits and the battery starts draining, you’ll get a flashing alert once voltage drops below 12.8V), but on solid means a hardware fault with the battery has occurred, such as an internal controller failure.

I tested the fault alert by discharging the battery and can validate it stays on for 5 seconds and then off 5, then back on. I did not simulate a hardware fault.

Configuring the G3X is essentially following the prompts. Enter the EIS setup page and go from there...the installation manual for the G3X is very good for this; see section 34.4.26 and follow the prompts, save and reboot.

Last edited:
Back