What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Max RPMs have eroded slightly

Don E

Well Known Member
Patron
New IO-390 with now 84 hours on it. First 40 hours or so, I always saw 2,700 RPMs on takeoff with an occasional 2,710 one-second artifact. Last few months, I?m seeing 2,680 max RPMs with a lot of 2,670 in the mix. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

Filter is clean...

Has density altitude/temperature changed at all? Air filter clean?

So are you saying it should change with the seasons? I have flown out of the same strip at 436? MSL the whole 11 months it?s been flying, but density altitude changes with temp and humidity, of course. But not by a lot, certainly not thousands of feet. I?d be interested to know if that?s what everyone experiences.

Do the rpms come up to 2700 by the end of the runway?
If yes, then the fine pitch stop on the prop has slipped a bit.
If no, then the high rpm stop on the governor has slipped a bit.

No, I?m not seeing 2,700 now at all.

Do the rpms come up to 2700 by the end of the runway?
If yes, then the fine pitch stop on the prop has slipped a bit.
If no, then the high rpm stop on the governor has slipped a bit.

I know how to adjust the prop; back to school on the governor, then. Thanks!

Constant speed prop?

Is this with a constant speed prop? Power output shouldn?t effect the rpm, the governor should compensate for any power losses from density altitude or clogged air filters.. What does your oil pressure do, and does your prop governor actually hit the stop when the control is punched in? Is there a gap at the panel where the prop control bottoms on the governor before it bottoms on the panel?

I vote for governor adjustment. The max RPM setting is off, rigging of your control may not be moving lever to full low pitch max RPM.

Is the performance basically the same.... take off run, climb rate? The only time power would affect RPM with prop full low pitch, is if you are way down on power. Unlikely... you would know it.

I vote for governor adjustment. The max RPM setting is off, rigging of your control may not be moving lever to full low pitch max RPM.

Is the performance basically the same.... take off run, climb rate? The only time power would affect RPM with prop full low pitch, is if you are way down on power. Unlikely... you would know it.

Performance is good, can?t tell any difference. Takeoff is short and quick, climbs like a homesick angel. What would cause the the governor max RPM to go out of adjustment? Just ?settling in??

Thanks

Is this with a constant speed prop? Power output shouldn?t effect the rpm, the governor should compensate for any power losses from density altitude or clogged air filters.. What does your oil pressure do, and does your prop governor actually hit the stop when the control is punched in? Is there a gap at the panel where the prop control bottoms on the governor before it bottoms on the panel?

Yes, constant speed, prop control full forward hits the stop. There is the cushion gap at the panel; I don?t understand your oil pressure question. Generally mid-70s PSI. Thanks

I don?t understand your oil pressure question. Generally mid-70s PSI. Thanks

CS prop needs oil pressure to work. But the questioner has it backwards: low oil pressure causes too high, not too low, RPMs. Unless you have an aerobatic or twin prop, they work ?backwards?.

Back