What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Performance Data Request

OldNavy

I'm New Here
Hi, I have an RV-7 with a LYCO IO-360 & a constant speed prop; and, I would like to get some actual performance figures to use in FltPlan.com X-country flight planning website. I would very much appreciate any data/performance figures that you use for X-country planning. Hopefully I can ?pick your brain? for Altitude, RPM, Manifold Pressure/Throttle setting, and what IAS & TAS speeds those settings produce. It would also be greatly appreciated if you would include your Climb & Descent speeds and GPH that you fly. Also, any tips or tricks that you have learned in your X-country planning and flying, especially your leaning procedures and the trade off in cruise IAS/TAS for a gain in GPH.
Thank you very much

I have a FP prop so don't pay as much attention to MAP as I likely should but here are my cruise numbers. Dual P-Mags programmed using the Emag EICAD application (v4).

2550 RPM = 155 KTAS @ 7.5 - 8 GPH @ 8500-12500 (LOP unless at 10500-12500, then max RPM)
2600 RPM = 160 KTAS @ 8.1 - 8.2 GPH @ 8500-10500 (LOP)

Any faster burns a lot more fuel. At 12.5 coming home last week, I could only get to 2530 RPM @ 155 KTAS running best RPM and 7.5 GPH.

Once out of the pattern, I climb at 110-120 KIAS until at cruise altitude.

Lean during climb to maintain 150-200 degrees ROP, which, for me, holds around 2400 RPM.

IO-360 parallel or angle valve engine?

Have you read the operating handbook for your engine so you know how to set power and lean properly?

The RV with a Lycoming has similar engine operating procedures (leaning) as any Cessna, Piper, Grumman with a Lyc.

Experimentals vary and you can validate your own burn, speeds, power settings. All the best.

Back