What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Van Cave!

smokyray

Well Known Member
UNCLASSIFIED

TRIP REPORT: THE VAN CAVE
TRAVEL DATE/S: 27 JUL 14
ITINERARY: KBOS-KMKE-KLAX-KDFW (DH)
TRAVELER: SMOKEY
PIC ACFT B737-700W (KBOS-KLAX)
DH TRAVEL: KLAX-KDFW (B757)
AUTO TRANSPORTATION USED: YES ###
ACCOMMODATIONS SATISFACTORY: YES ###
OVERALL RATING: OUTSTANDING (and then some)

REPORT DETAILS:
Traveled KBOS-KLAX per work requirements, 0600L departure EST. Bird-strike on T/O. return KBOS. Bird remains cleaned up, aircraft inspected and declared airworthy, departed KBOS for KMKE without further incident. Continued to KLAX after 30 minute turn around. Arrive KLAX, PIC mission complete. Offline travel to KDFW.
Arrive KDFW 2115L on very short notice to host, Mr. DR who was waiting outside terminal bag claim in vehicle with AC on, vehicle capabilities and type, far exceeding expectation. Host drove GPS direct to Fuzzy's Tacos for sustenance Comida Es Buena! Tacos consumed and then proceeded to hosts home for dropoff. Outstanding vehicles keys rendered to traveler for transport to Van Cave accommodation. Vehicle was fully fueled, FM radio pre programmed to 70's R&R and AC set to 69F. Extremely thorough instructions and paper maps provided as well as pre- programed GPS coordinates loaded prior to travelers arrival.
Vehicle was driven by traveler to destination, travel time estimated at 23 minutes. Note: highly comfortable seats, amazing sound system combined with travelers low rest state caused some time lapse combined with significant amounts of reminiscing which caused some distortion in space time continuum of traveler. Arrived destination 2245L
Extremely thorough instructions included utilizing two(2) separate remotes to open security gate and hangar (cave) door. Traveler multi-tasked per F16 operators manual page 0ne.
Vehicle driven inside cave taking care not to collide with numerous aircraft, projects, vehicles, vehicle lift devices, treadmills, bicycles, lounge chairs, refrigerators, and spacecraft.
Once inside cave, outer door was closed and survival kit retrieved from vehicle rear seat. Towel, bed/couch covering, WIFI/NASA link apparatus and most importantly a LED flashlight provided by host. After navigating stairway, office area entered and per instructions, window A/C unit activated. Temperature setting per hosts recommendation was experimental given I was his first ever guest to RON. (remain overnight). Bed covering was applied to vintage Machiavellian highly comfortable leather full size couch complete with dual function nightstand/camp chair. WIFI/NASA link not utilized as traveler consciousness lost post-couch/bed cover application.
28 JUL 2014
Post outstanding rest cycle and Van Cave latrine/scupper equipped shower utilization. outstanding airport car driven back to DR residence for host retrieval. (Host was actually at home, even after traveler gave warning he was inbound!) Host and traveler travel via airport car to healthy breakfast location for further sustenance. Vehicle then driven 50NM to KGLE for RVX retrieval. Travel time 44 min (despite incessant babbling about aircraft related topics by traveler) Traveler dropped off at destination for aircraft retrieval. Aircraft retrieved, flown to 52F for short term storage, travel time 16 min. Aircraft parked Van Cave, RV grin (once again) notwithstanding. Host arrival by car, group departure for Hard 8 BBQ and sustenance extraordinaire. Traveler deposited DFW for RTB.
MISSION COMPLETE

http://www.vansairforce.net/thevancave.htm
V/R
Smokey

PS: Many thanks to my great friend DR. Not only does he run a great website, fly cool airplanes and hail from my home town, he is an awesome host. THANKS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Quiet shouting

What Blogger first said that about caps? Must be somewhere after the model 28'teletype days.
It stuck though. Wish it had not. It is not shouting. It is simply EASIER to read.
If I could lock upper case on this eye pad...... I darn sure wood.
btw... Nice trip report

Smokey sorry for the small derail.

If I could lock upper case on this eye pad...... I darn sure wood.
btw...

I am assuming you are not talking about a wooden iPAD :D and you can lock caps. Double tap up arrow next to the letter "Z".

My ipad is made of unobtanium... hence the cost.
You have now allowed me to revert to an even less evolved RVer. Text in all caps... might get kicked off by DR.... and even uninvited to visit said cave.
Guess I will go back to the King's English for now. Thanks though...

Back