What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N1463 flew today!

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
First flight went very well. Good performance, smooth ride, minor squawks.

At 75 percent power the ball was half a ball left of center. Takes a fair amount of left foot to center. I have the yaw damper but it can?t trim it out nor should it. Will take more notes and consider options. All the fairings are installed and seem true on the ground.

Could install rudder trim under the panel. Or perhaps put a trim tab on the rudder. Will see.

Flying

Congrats Dudley: Been monitoring your progress and know you been hard at it. Lunch is on me at ARA if you come this way.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Awesome! Congrats!

Try taking off your nose wheel pant and see if it flies straight. If it does, you may need to increase your nose wheel breakout force.

Awesome! Congrats!

Try taking off your nose wheel pant and see if it flies straight. If it does, you may need to increase your nose wheel breakout force.

I wouldn't be too concerned until you've got 10 hrs +/- on the airframe. We had similar issue on our 14A, but it kind of found its center after a while. Agree with BK, that big nosewheel fairing can impart a lot of twist. We have a yaw damper on our wish list but after a year of flying it is getting pushed to the bottom because our plane requires very little rudder input except in takeoff or climb.

Congratulations Dudley

Fast build! Seems like no time since I brought you some
clecos and you were working on the aft fuselage.
Way to go! Enjoy it.

Dudley. On my first few flights, with wheel pants installed, the ball was way out of center. After much musing, it turned out that the nose gear break away force was insufficient (I believe it is supposed to be 26lbs). Incidentally, the break away force needs to be checked a couple times through Phase 1, until the belleville washers properly seat.
Greg
N14ZP 140209
TIW Tacoma Narrows
165 hours since 1st flight 7/17/17:D

Last edited:
Back