What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you buck/sqeeze this rivet?

Reflex

Well Known Member
Perhaps it's a technique I've yet to learn, but I can figure out how to buck or squeeze the rivet below. The rivet is actually touching the U-shaped aileron bracket. When I try to buck, the rivet splits as the bucking bar can't stay in contact with the rivet due to the contact with the U-shaped bracket. In addition, the polished/rolled edge of the bucking bar, prevents the bucking bar from full contact with the entire surface of the rivet. It's the same on both L&R wings.

In searching VAF, it doesn't look like anybody else has had this problem, so must be me. See below:

Thoughts?

2rootq1.jpg

30s8qwm.jpg

ivuzb6.jpg

Last edited:
Custom or modified bucking bars

Custom or modified bucking bars.
In this specific case, I believe that I used a "Heel & Toe" bar and possibly even ground the narrow end of the bar to "fit" in close to the SB reinforcement piece.
You will have to grind the radius off of the bar in order to ride up against the reinforcement piece and maintain a square flat bucking bar surface on the rivet.
Or just find a piece of steel with decent mass and grind a bar as needed to fit the application.
This one can be kind of a PITA.

Well, you could drill out the rivets to the stiffener and then countersink it for a flush rivet put in the other way. Then redo the stiffeners.
I would hold a tungsten bar up against the angle and on the rivet stem, then rivet from the other side like normal. Looks like there is enough space to do that without difficulty and still get an acceptable shop head. If not, then you may have to go to a flush rivet.
Good luck.

CherryMax

After a few goes at this I substituted a CherryMax. Vans approved.
It?s deceptively tight access that rivet.
Cheers

Perhaps it's a technique I've yet to learn, but I can figure out how to buck or squeeze the rivet below. The rivet is actually touching the U-shaped aileron bracket. When I try to buck, the rivet splits as the bucking bar can't stay in contact with the rivet due to the contact with the U-shaped bracket. In addition, the polished/rolled edge of the bucking bar, prevents the bucking bar from full contact with the entire surface of the rivet. It's the same on both L&R wings.

In searching VAF, it doesn't look like anybody else has had this problem, so must be me. See below:

Thoughts?

2rootq1.jpg

The RV-8 has a rivet in the same location just like this. It can be bucked BUT it is not going to be pretty.

This hole kind of looks like it corresponds to this note page 15-04...

Rivet the rear spar assembly to the wing per the rivet call-outs shown in
Figure 2. Note that some holes do not have rivet callouts and will be
left open to attach the aileron and flap gap fairings in Section 20.
Tape over or mark these holes temporarily to prevent accidentally
riveting in these locations.

This hole kind of looks like it corresponds to this note page 15-04...

Rivet the rear spar assembly to the wing per the rivet call-outs shown in
Figure 2. Note that some holes do not have rivet callouts and will be
left open to attach the aileron and flap gap fairings in Section 20.
Tape over or mark these holes temporarily to prevent accidentally
riveting in these locations.

Unfortunately, we're not that lucky. However, I did have success.

29mqavl.jpg

2ij2lhc.jpg

Last edited:
Second Vote For Cherrymax

Not a -14, but the same situation occurs on -7 wing when installing SB-03-28 on a QB wing.

Cherrymax CR3213-4-5 for the -7 wing at least.

My skills were not up to bucking a rivet there, and it looks even tighter on the -14 pix above.

Hopefully the links to pix below work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxt5xyc10rydh4l/DSCN3296.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23u0v48hex15p4c/DSCN3300.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h687u9qmx4t7rx/DSCN3301.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/befqtc3b52sn1i9/DSCN3312.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:
Back