What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim

I?m curious what other 14 builders have done for rudder trim. Please, if you haven?t installed one, refrain from commenting.

I?m going with full Garmin and a Y/D. Photos of your installed trim, would be AWSOME!!

Thanks,

I?m curious what other 14 builders have done for rudder trim. Please, if you haven?t installed one, refrain from commenting.

I?m going with full Garmin and a Y/D. Photos of your installed trim, would be AWSOME!!

Thanks,

Aerosport Products

I have one of their first units in my RV-10. If they haven't already, they have a new model coming out that weighs less. It can easily be installed in a flying aircraft.

Electric

I ended up installing a Ray Allen trim servo in the rudder attached to a piano hinge on the trailing edge. It was a knock off of the electric rudder trim mod I saw on RV10s. I will try to post some photos later this week when I get back from travel. I am not flying yet, so not sure how well or needed it will be, but I enjoyed going off the plans for a bit.

Thanks,

I have the full Garmin with Y/D. You won?t need the Y/D the -14 has very little dutch roll. I have the Aerosport trim system and it is a very nice design, but again I seldom use it because I use a trim block on the rudder setup for cruise flight and it takes very little foot pressure to trim for climb and descent. I have no aileron trim and have never needed it once I got the flaps and ailerons adjusted properly. Those are expenses and weight I would have avoided had I known while I was building.

Just bought the Avery/Cleaveland trim block, will be installing today. I need some right rudder in cruise. The YD does push the ball toward center, but not fully - I want it centered without pressure so the YD is doing it's intended job, not correcting trim.

Just bought the Avery/Cleaveland trim block, will be installing today. I need some right rudder in cruise. The YD does push the ball toward center, but not fully - I want it centered without pressure so the YD is doing it's intended job, not correcting trim.

Just a heads up ... something to check before installing the trim block .. if your nosewheel breakout force is too low it will seem like you need right rudder in cruise because the wheelpant is being pushed to the side by prop wash.

I have installed M.L. Skunk Works Rudder Trim which is just the same as Aerosport with spring but about half the cost. Sadly, he looks like is getting out of business but great product.

pictures

As promised
7-12-6.jpg

7-0-3.jpg

Note: to anyone who wishes to debate whether this is necessary, needed, or even desired. I don't care, I wanted it and had fun doing something off the "plans" early in the build.

As promised
7-12-6.jpg

7-0-3.jpg

Note: to anyone who wishes to debate whether this is necessary, needed, or even desired. I don't care, I wanted it and had fun doing something off the "plans" early in the build.

Did you fabricate the doubler/cover plate or use something already available?

Back