What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need starter Option Help

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I have a 0360 200 HP Lycoming I need a starter for. The current starter is Factory and it has trouble tuning the engine over. The blades seem to almost come to a stop when on a compression stroke. Like starting a HOT engine!

I would like to purchase a Sky-Tec starter but do not know what model to get.

My choices are NL, E Drive or HT? What starter is good for cranking the engine at a decent RPM? At least an RPM that the prop keeps moving through the compression stroke. I have a Concord RG-35 AXC battery.

I know many of you guys are running 8.5-1 or higher compression and know what starter is best.

Starter

Phil,

Get the NL starter. I had the same issue until I swapped the lightweight with the 149 NL high torque starter, problem solved. The engine really spun after the installation of the NL.

All the SkyTec starters should spin the engine fast. Like Oly says, the NL starter is the longest lasting most reliable of all the SkyTec starters. Sounds like Oly and I are both using the same starter. The NL starter is a little heavier and a little more money but it is worth it.

THANKS

I appreciate the advice. There is nothing more frustrating than the engine starter fighting its way past a compression stroke.

Starter

Phil,

I think I have an extra NL in the hangar. It?s used but I kept it as a spare. I recently bought an -8 with the lightweight starter and it seems to be doing OK. If you want to try it out let me know by PM or e-mail.

Oly

Back