VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Default RV-12 Q&A

Well the green suit was finally hung up for the last time. So now to focus on getting back to civilian life. So pretty much decided that I am going to buy vs build for my first RV. I keep coming back to the RV12. So if you know of a good deal out there...

I am going to be moving back to the Ocala, Tampa or Orlando area. Still working on the details. After the past 25 years, my wife gets to pick as opposed to Uncle Sam.

How well does the landing like work? Should I treat it like a taxi light or does it really light up the touchdown point? Is it something you would use to drop on to a poorly lit runway? I am thinking Tampa North for the Florida folks.

Grass field ops? Could I reliability fly in and out of a grass field? Seems to be easier to find a hangar on some of the grass fields as opposed to the paved ones like Tampa Exec. Then there is the price, ugh.

Speaking of hangar, how do the 12s handle rain? If this becomes a ramp queen am I going to find puddles in the plane? How about in flight, are the aluminum seams pretty tight? Many of the places that I have called have long wait lists for hangar space.

Any recommendations on finding information on the purchase process for an experimental? AOPA was helpful but I feel they are better suited to buying a new cirrus or a TBM.

Finally, if anyone thinks this soldier is crazy for going with a 12 or asking any of these questions please message me. I am in uncharted airspace here but trying to keep aviation in my life. The amount of really smart people on this site is amazing and a big part of why I keep coming back to Vans.

'Keep up the Fire'
Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 AM

I routinely operate from a grass strip with no problem. Keep the nose wheel wheel off the ground as much as possible and do not let the nose fork dig in.
-
The landing light should not be a deciding factor. If you do not like it, replace it or add another one to the other wing.
-
Ask EAA headquarters for advice on buying an experimental plane.

Consider the new Rotax iS version. Not only is the engine better, but the airplane has lots of improvements like increased electrical capacity and increased baggage capacity (75 pounds). Perhaps you could sponsor a school project where students build your plane. There are a few schools across the country that have programs set up already.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Check out Spruce Creek. If lucky, you could find a home with attached hangar. And there are lots of pilots and builders to offer advice and help with a project.
Spruce Creek
Port Orange, FL 32128
29.080134, -81.046851
Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
Check out Spruce Creek. If lucky, you could find a home with attached hangar. And there are lots of pilots and builders to offer advice and help with a project.
Spruce Creek
Port Orange, FL 32128
29.080134, -81.046851
Spruce Creek is a nice place, but pretty far from family which is where we are trying to get back near.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM

There is a guy named Charles Walter on Beechtalk selling a very nice hangar home in Ocala. Looks like he Is about to list it at higher price. Current price is quite attractive.

Link: https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/vie...=unread#unread

Last edited by mturnerb : 11-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
There is a guy named Charles Walter on Beechtalk selling a very nice hangar home in Ocala. Looks like he Is about to list it at higher price. Current price is quite attractive.

Link: https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/vie...=unread#unread
We drove through Leeward last weekend on our way to Lakeland. There are some nice places for sale there. It is definitely on our short list. We are going to be up there next week to look more seriously. Just concerned about the Villages sprawl. I had to check the map to make sure I was still in Florida with all of the NY license plates.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
The landing light should not be a deciding factor. If you do not like it, replace it or add another one to the other wing.
Not really a deciding factor for the aircraft, but will help with the decision on the home field choice.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM

I sent you a private message
Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu16 View Post
Well the green suit was finally hung up for the last time. So now to focus on getting back to civilian life. So pretty much decided that I am going to buy vs build for my first RV. I keep coming back to the RV12. So if you know of a good deal out there...
The Green Lantern is retiring? Does the Justice League know about this? Holy Caped Crusader!

Seriously, a heartfelt "thank you" for your service!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger81 View Post
The Green Lantern is retiring? Does the Justice League know about this? Holy Caped Crusader!

Seriously, a heartfelt "thank you" for your service!
Yep the cape is in a shipping container somewhere in Alabama. Or I should say, I hope my goods are still in a shipping container.

My wife asked me why I care about landing lights. She commented don't you just use your night vision devices when it is dark out. This civilian transition is going to be fun.