What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N880AT is now a free bird!

glider4

Well Known Member
This morning test pilot Jeff Nielsen took my RV-8a QB up to compete the FAA required Phase 1 testing. While I completed much of the test flying in terms of hours flown and test items completed, Jeff flew the really demanding parts of the required testing. He completed the aerobatic maneuvers (loops and rolls), spin entries and maximum speed (230 MPH True Air Speed) testing this morning.

All went well.

N88AT total time 40.8 hours on the tach. Build time to date approximately 2,300 hours.

I am now free to fly about the country - with a passenger! :D

Congratulations!

It must be an incredible feeling!! Congratulations on a huge milestone! Enjoy Phase 2 :D

Congratulations and an aside!

Congratulations!

And for those not quite there yet; the aerobatic testing does NOT have to be accomplished during the original phase I flight test.
You may sign off phase I, fly within phase II, then later return to phase I for aerobatic testing after you are more comfortable with the aircraft.

Aerobatic maneuver testing

Mel, thanks for the good wishes!
I was told that only aerobatic maneuvers performed/demonstrated during the Phase 1 testing were allowed to be performed in Phase II.
I knew that I could return to Phase 1 for more testing but I really wanted to avoid that if possible. My primary mission is long x-c not aerobatics. No inverted oil or fuel p/u so only positive g maneuvers for me.
I've done loops and rolls from the back seat of a friends RV-8, with him in front of course, so I know what they look and feel like.
First x-c with a passenger tomorrow morning!

Back