What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Tail

Anna

Hi together,

I rebuild the new horizontal stabilizer and elevator with the improved design for my -8.

In some points the building instruction is a little bit confusing, particular with the new doublers at the HS spar.

I have questions concerning the doublers in the elevator spar at the rod ends:
Do I need to drill ALL prepunched holes (see picture) in the doubler through the spar and reinforcement plate?
Should I drill/ream the hole for the rod end bearings?

Thanks you,
Anna

Anna,

I did use the pre-punched holes in E-00001-A/B as a template and drilled through the E-702 spar and the E-610/611-PP reinforcement plates. I can't say with certainty that I was right to do so (the instructions don't go into detail here), but I think that is what is intended.

As far as drilling/reaming the hole for the rod end, if everything lines up nicely, there will be no need. I would suggest just test fitting the rod ends before you rivet on the doublers/nutplates.

Solution

Per Vans Support Guys these holes should all be drilled and prepunched. :)

Thank you,
Anna

Sb 14-02-05

I built a new horizontal stabilizer but did not add the rear spar plates due to van's "note: installation of this service bulletin as preventive maintenance is not recommended." Hope I didn't miss something.

Back