What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turtle deck question

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Just about to start in on my QB fuselage and have been reading ahead in the build manual. A question for those that have gone before me.
Is there an overriding reason to install the turtle deck in the build order suggested in the manual? I am thinking that I might like to leave that off as long as possible for better access to the aft fuselage for all the various wiring chores. Input from those who built a Showplanes FB especially helpful since that is my intention.

Off to work for a couple days.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, leave it off until there's nothing else to do back there but put it on. Of course make sure you can still get the back boards in there to send your best friend in to buck the rivets! :)

Ditto:

Same here, and start scouting your friends for a small one with no fear of being trapped in a small space. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Put the turtle deck on

Gosh I disagree and think you should put it on when Van's instructions says. Because 1) it locks the fuselage so it doesn't twist and 2) there is plenty of access around it. It doesn't get in the way. Pay attention to how Vans instructions say to level it, measure it, then drill and rivet it. Other things you do need the fuselage square, straight and locked.

Back