VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Dynamic pressure is what is desired for IAS. Since only dynamic pressure directly correlates to speed. However dynamic cannot be directly measured and has to be derived by subtracting the static pressure from the total pressure (pitot). So the third port on an Dynon might be a direct reading AOA or some such but probably not dynamic. I have an Aspen in the box so I will check it out but I am pretty sure it is only two ports.

Jim
Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Default AV-20 Ports and AoA

Hi Guys,

The AV-20 uses an algorithm actually developed/patented by Sperry - I don't know if it's the same as used in the Aspen as that was done after I left. It uses sensors (lots of them), but does not require a physical AoA probe. We've flow it against several AoA systems and it's identical in performance. I've added a short description of how it works in the FAQ section at www.AeroVonics.com.

The two ports are for pitot and static. Power and ground are the only other two connections required. All others are optional.

Certification is being performed under the NORSEE policy, allowing installation as a Minor alteration for Class I & II, non-pressurized aircraft (log book entry only). The FAA thinking is that it's not required equipment, and a failure of the equipment is minor in nature. Failure of a pitot or static connection is Major in a pressurized aircraft, so it's not eligible for that.

We are obviously just getting things started, but if you guys have ideas / features you would like to see, let us know!

Jeff