What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting ADS-B configured properly

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Just got the new (to me) GTX330-ES and I have it installed and wired in.

In the cockpit: GTN 650, GTX330ES (just updated to -ES), Trans Cal 120 Encoder, Area 660, GDL39-3D, Garmin Pilot Ap on Ipad.

My big issue is getting the ADS-B OUT working. I can see traffic and weather IN on my Ipad and my Aera 660. I have gotten different answers from different folks on how to configure this new GTX330-ES setup.

Lets start with the altitude encoder. It provides two serial RS232 signals as well as Grey code.
I decided against re-wiring for grey code. SO much easier just to run a few RS 232 wires.
This Trans Cal encoder can provide altitude in 10- foot increments. I have it wired into the GTN650,
I have it providing 10ft increments, and the GTN650 RS232 input is set to "ALTITUDE FORMAT 1".
QUESTION: Should I be using the 10 foot increments, and will the GTX330ES be able to use that 10ft type of input as well ?
How should I configure it?

QUESTION: do I want the GTN650 to remotely control the 330ES?
If I do so, will I still be able to use the 330ES keys to enter a squawk code?
QUESTION: Do I want the GTX330ES to provide TIS-B traffic to the GTN? Do I need this considering I have a GDL39?
One person told me the GTN650 needs to simply send "ADBS+" to the 330 ES.
Another person says "GTX w/TIS + #1" and GTN set to "Remote + TIS"

Last of all I need to make sure the GTX330ES is properly configured.
I need to put my Tail number into the unit.
GPS integrity set to 1E-7 ?
Anything else I should be cautious about?
What about GPS Ground vs Airspeed?

I am sure if you contact your local Garmin dealer they can get this working for you as it should be.

I am sure if you contact your local Garmin dealer they can get this working for you as it should be.

+1. Or, get the installation manuals.
As for the RS232 settings, I would guess they are both correct.
RS232 OUT from the GTN, IN to the GTX, 'ADSB+', to send data to the GTX.
RS232 OUT from the GTX, and IN to the GTN, for TIS data to be displayed.

Back