What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot reports on FreeFlight Ranger Lite?

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Anyone placed the model: RANGER Lite FDL-978-XVRL ( which is a In/Out ADSB transceiver) unit in service? Will they sell direct to experimental customers for user install? How easy was your installation and set up? Does it perform as advertised? Looks to have WiFi to electronic tablets and etc. Can it use any let over Navworx parts!! ie GPS antenna?

Actually the external antenna from the NAvworx is compatible and according to their sales they will sell directly for experimental user installation, Current price less GPS antenna is $3195. Only has to use one UAT antenna as opposed to the two required for the "Blue Box". eligible for the 500 Rebate. I have an installation manual for anyone if interested

I have installed Freeflight before. The blue box has the option of top and bottom uat antennas, but doesn't require both. It worked well, but the installation had some complication because of DOA parts.

RE: FreeFlight Ranger, Anonymous Mode

The FDL-978 systems have an Anonymous Mode feature that will broadcast a random, temporary, ICAO address and no call sign when enabled. This feature can only be enabled through a external switch (Open/Ground) connected to pin 12. "Anonymous Mode" is active when pin 12 is grounded (Active Low).

The Anonymous Mode can only be enabled when the squawk code is set to 1200. The FDL-978 will automatically revert back to the default ICAO address and call sign when the squawk code is changed from 1200.

The FDL-978 equipment defaults to the registered aircraft ICAO address and call sign when initially powered on. Anonymous Mode will not be enabled within the first 90 seconds after the FDL-978 is powered on.

In Anonymous Mode you are unable to receive IFR or VFR separation services. Potential negative impacts to ADS-B IN applications could occur.

I have the FDL-978-XVR with the internal GPS and am happy with its operation with my GRT Sport EFIS. Having ADS-B traffic displayed on the EFIS is a definite plus. About the only thing that could be better is if it were a dual mode receiver i.e. received 1090-ES Mode S xpndr via air to air rather than having to rely on ADS-R rebroadcast from a ground station for the 1090-ES traffic.

On the RANGER Lite FDL-978-XVRL , (1) How is the initial set up done if you are not using the Freeflight controller? . The Installation manual walks you thru the set up however it is with the FF controller unit. Also (2) does this unit require a stand alone Altitude encoder as show on the schematic or can the RS232 signal out of a GTX327 relay that PA, or maybe a separate wire over from the Dynon 180 that is also supplying the GTX 327 .

RE: FreeFlight Ranger Lite configuration

The software in the FreeFlight XVR supports a Maintenance Port Interface (MPI) which can be used to configure the system, provide installation status information, and update system software/firmware. The MPI uses one of the RS-232 serial ports (TxRx3 or TxRx5) connected to a laptop or PC using a terminal interface program like ?Tera Term,? to enter the MPI commands and review internal status. The TC978 controller doesn't have to be installed in normal operation, Using it for configuration is easy using built in menus. The TC978 will retain a copy of the configuration settings so if you ever have to replace the XVR just reconnect the controller and the replacement unconfigured XVR will copy the configuration from the TC978.

The configuration can be also be done via the Wi-Fi interface module which can be connected to either RS-232 TxRx3 or TxRx5. FreeFlight has an APP that runs on a iPad that can be used for configuration via the W-iFi interface, So if you were going to implement the WiFi interface for connecting to a iPad running ForeFlight etc to view ADSB data. the Tablet configuration app might be the way to go for configuration.

The Garmin 327 transponder control output doesn't transmit the altitude encoder labels. Altitude Encoder data has to be provided to the FreeFlgiht XVR on a separate serial port input. The Dynon 180 output supplying altitude encoding data to the transponder should be used to provide altitude encoding data to the FreeFlight XVR.

In case anyone is interested I have a RANGR TXL in stock ready to go - $1995 (ADS-B out only, includes TC978 head and GPS antenna).

Walt

FreeFlight

The app for configuring the UAT via the FWF125 wifi module is ADSB MPI, its an Android app. There is currently no Apple app to configure this system. If the TC978 controller is not used, the personality module supplied with the UAT should be connected via a dongle during configuration. It saves the programming and would have to be reconnected if the UAT ever gets replaced.

The Garmin 327 transponder control output doesn't transmit the altitude encoder labels. Altitude Encoder data has to be provided to the FreeFlgiht XVR on a separate serial port input. The Dynon 180 output supplying altitude encoding data to the transponder should be used to provide altitude encoding data to the FreeFlight XVR.

To clarify what Isaac wrote, the Freeflight TC978 control head has a built-in digital encoder with a static pressure connector on the back of the controller. If you, like me, are not using a modern EFIS with serial altitude output this built-in encoder is an added benefit when installing the Freeflight control head since it can serve as a primary or secondary digital altitude source, with automatic failover switching of encoder signal in the case of a second encoder onboard. The TC978's altitude encoding signal not only provides altitude to it's own Freeflight LRU but also to the GTX 327 and any other onboard digital device that can use a RS-232 altitude source. I didn't realize this until I received my unit and inspected the TC978 controller finding the brass barbed static pressure fitting on the back. It's like a freebie. That's when I changed my plans of having the GTX 327 stand-alone, and instead made room for the TC978 controller on the panel so I could remove my Trans-Cal RS 232 blind encoder and use it somewhere else.

When I called Freeflight technical support they encouraged the installation of the TC978 as a matter of course. They also told me if I didn't install the TC978 (despite having a GTX 327) then I would have to install ADS-B out status annunciator lights somewhere on the panel (yuk). Combine this with having to install a maintenance serial port, personality module and and using an older laptop with a serial port running terminal software to configure the ADS-B parameters, it really does make everybody's life easier to go ahead and install the TC978.

On a related note, I opted to substitute an AT575-9 GPS antenna from an old Apollo GPS360 in place of the big 'ol honkin' RAMI AV-801 antenna that Freeflight includes with their units.

AT575.jpg

(Used AT atnenna. O-ring gasket temporarily removed during old silicon sealant clean-up)

That substitution of WAAS antennas is allowed per the installation instructions as they list the old Apollo GPS antenna part number as an approved alternate. The AT575-9 is lower profile, less drag and has a smaller footprint for tight spaces. Here is a photo I took of both antennas side by side, with the included Freeflight RAMI AV -801 GPS antenna on the left and the re-purposed Apollo AT575-9 GPS antenna mounted and sealed on an Aviat Husky wing root fairing on the right. The Husky, with it's interfacing structure, just didn't have enough real estate for the Freeflight RAMI antenna:

WAAS%20Antenna.jpg
[

One final note. My install is for the "out "only version TXL. I am a real believer in being able to choose or change my "in" source by using any of a myriad of portable "in" choices out there. All the while with options like built-in attitude AHRS and/or backup battery power (like GDL-39 3D etc...). Portable "ins" are also "dual band" pickup up both frequencies despite my out being UAT only. This separate in/out scheme allows the flexibility of being more future proof. And it's cheaper to only buy only one portable ADS-B receiver, especially if you own and fly multiple aircraft and take the "in" with you and pop it in place before engine start.

The FreeFlight UAT ADS-B unit with built-in WAAS GPS, when combined with an existing or used GTX 327 and a portable dual-band receiver is about as cheap a set up as is currently possible. Used GTX 327's are a bargain on the used market right now.

I couldn't find a better price on the TXL out unit than Walt's price above. It is exactly what I paid for the same unit.

Jim

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the face of the TC978 controller:

TC978.jpg

Here are some photos of the TC978 control head with the built-in digital encoder while fitting items into my new subpanel:

Lower%20Tray.jpg

Panel%20rear.jpg

Jim

How do you change codes if using the control head

With my G327, I just push the appropriate number ---- if I use the control head, do I have to do something different. I used to have an Apollo 70 that required moving a curser, select a number, move the curser, select a number, etc --- that is one reason I do not consider a Trig TXP.

Ron

Edit -- Reply to Jliltd (next post) --- thanks very much for the info ---- the Freeflight becomes a serious option if my Navworx (wonderful box) gets neutered!

Ron

Last edited:
Nope. You don't have to do anything different. It's business as usual. Just enter your squawk code in the GTX 327 as you always have. The Freeflight control head squawk code is slaved to the transponder's controls.

That is by FAA mandate. The FAA wanted to make sure a pilot did not have to enter the same squawk code into two different places. So effectively the Freeflight head is used during installation to program the aircraft parameters quickly and easily. Then for the rest of it's life it will advise the pilot of the ADS-B out status and any error annunciations. All along providing an RS-232 altitude encoding source if hooked up to the static system. It can also be used to adjust any ADS-B settings in the future and keeps the setup information for the particular aircraft in non-volatile memory.

So think of the TC978 as an alternative to irritating ADS-B panel status lights that also replaces the blind encoder.

Jim

Gray Code

Does the TC978 have gray code output? I still have KT-76A and Narco AT-50 on my aircraft and don't want to replace them if I don't need to.

Never mind; I found its installation manual and TC978 does not have gray code output. I just need to keep my old encoder.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested I have a RANGR TXL in stock ready to go - $1995 (ADS-B out only, includes TC978 head and GPS antenna).

Walt

Walt,

The more I read the more confused My mind becomes. My RV7A has two 430s (non-WAAS) and a 330 (non-ES) and dual GRT Horizon WS EFIS. I read about GRT's Fly Safe 2020 gps and thought I would get that gps and upgrade my 330 to ES for an all in cost of less than $2,000. Then I foundout the Fly Safe gps doesn't play well with my Garmin 330. I then thought I'd go with the Garmin 20A gps but the equipment and upgrade cost jumped up to around $2,500 with no FAA rebate. I also don't know how difficult the installation of the 20A in my airplane would be. In any event neither approach addresses ads-b in? I do have the FlightBox ads-b in from Open Source Solutions and have thought seriously about using that to feed data to my Horizon WS and iPad.

I live in OKC so a trip to TX wouldn't be that difficult but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. Do you think there is a chance some reputable company might pick up the NavWorX system? I really did like the possibilities it offered. I respect your insights and want to hear what your thoughts are.

Walt,

The more I read the more confused My mind becomes. My RV7A has two 430s (non-WAAS) and a 330 (non-ES) and dual GRT Horizon WS EFIS. I read about GRT's Fly Safe 2020 gps and thought I would get that gps and upgrade my 330 to ES for an all in cost of less than $2,000. Then I foundout the Fly Safe gps doesn't play well with my Garmin 330. I then thought I'd go with the Garmin 20A gps but the equipment and upgrade cost jumped up to around $2,500 with no FAA rebate. I also don't know how difficult the installation of the 20A in my airplane would be. In any event neither approach addresses ads-b in? I do have the FlightBox ads-b in from Open Source Solutions and have thought seriously about using that to feed data to my Horizon WS and iPad.

I live in OKC so a trip to TX wouldn't be that difficult but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. Do you think there is a chance some reputable company might pick up the NavWorX system? I really did like the possibilities it offered. I respect your insights and want to hear what your thoughts are.

I like to keep things simple, so my opinion would be to pull the 330 and sell it, install a 335/345 with internal GPS. They fit the same space (actually smaller and lighter than the 330), work great and backed by a company you can count on. I would have to look into the whether the 345 would interface to the GRT, not sure about that. The FF units are great units as well but it would be more work to install than just replacing the xpdr in your case.

If you use Foreflight or Garmin Pilot the 345 will wirelessly connect to your Ipad and provide GPS position, weather/traffic and backup attitude.

Are there schematic wiring diagrams available for the Freeflight ADS-B products? I've looked at their website and don't see any. (The Trig site, OTOH, offers several different schematics, depending on configuration.)

Interesting discussion.

The older GRT EFIS (Horizon and Sport WS and HS) require a serial input for ADSB traffic. All other GRT EFIS can utilize USB for ADSB-In.

Free Flight Rangr Lite receivers do not have serial output so will not work with older GRT EFIS. The Free Flight Rangr Blue systems do have a serial output and will work will all GRT EFIS.

Stratux ADSB In receivers may be equipped with a serial interface that will work with GRT EFIS. There is a supplement manual on the GRT website concerning this. The Raspberry Pi computer in Stratux has USB ports, so I assume it can communicate with newer GRT EFIS via USB.

Garmin 345 ADSB In do not communicate using serial or USB, so they will not directly connect with GRT EFIS.

Tankerpilot75, you have a couple choices. Since you have FlightBox, use that to display ADSB In on your GRT and iPad. Then chose between UAT - Free Flight TXL ($1995 from Walt) or if you want Mode S, sell your GTX330 and purchase a Appareo ESG transponder with GPS built in ($2995 - can be found for $2499).

Personally, I have been using my Stratux (generic FlightBox) to display on my GRT Sport HS and it's WiFi to display on my iPad using FltPlnGO for a year now. I will replace my old GTX327 transponder with a Appareo ESG this Spring to get the rebate. FlightBox now has a AHRS board available so you can display attitude and flight instruments on your iPad with many of the popular apps.

Jim Butcher

Garmin 345 ADSB In do not communicate using serial or USB, so they will not directly connect with GRT EFIS.

According to the Garmin site and Q+A on ACS, the GTX345 supports connecting to 430W and 530W boxes, which would indicate is has serial-out. You might need a ARINC-429, however to translate to non-Garmin boxes.

I like to keep things simple, so my opinion would be to pull the 330 and sell it, install a 335/345 with internal GPS. They fit the same space (actually smaller and lighter than the 330), work great and backed by a company you can count on. I would have to look into the whether the 345 would interface to the GRT, not sure about that. The FF units are great units as well but it would be more work to install than just replacing the xpdr in your case.

If you use Foreflight or Garmin Pilot the 345 will wirelessly connect to your Ipad and provide GPS position, weather/traffic and backup attitude.

If I decided to follow your recommendation what price should I ask for my 330?

Does the TC978 have gray code output? I still have KT-76A and Narco AT-50 on my aircraft and don't want to replace them if I don't need to.

Never mind; I found its installation manual and TC978 does not have gray code output. I just need to keep my old encoder.

But, you will need serial output (RS232) from encoder to FDL978 (2 wires). My old Narco AT50A (still works) only had Gray Code ouput (Trans-Cal D120) and would require a new encoder (SSD-120 with RS232). I upgraded to a Garmin GTX 327 off Ebay cheap with rack, plug, connector and now only require one wire from TC978 as the TC978 has a built in encoder (must be connected to static system), and two wires from the GTX 327 to FDL978UAT box. Eliminated the old encoder and wire harness.
I did recert the Pitot System and Transponder as required.

Last edited:
Freeflight Ranger

Curious why anyone would want to mess with the complication when there are ADSB-out transponders available in the price range quoted above (~$3200). Why not just replace your transponder with a newer full ADSB-out Appareo ESG or the Garmin 335 and be done with it?

If one just owned say a Mode A/C Transponder such as a Narco AT whatever or maybe a King KT non digital and you wanted to keep all that, you can put in a UAT out only and only change out the encoder to have serial output or if you already have an encoder with serial output (cheap on ebay) for far less than a 1090ES or even if one wanted an IN/OUT with wifi, your cost would still be less. A 1090 ES still requires a squat switch or an air speed switch to alert TRACON when you are off/on the ground.

Or you can eliminate the analog transponder and encoder (Gray code) and install a digital transponder (cheap on ebay) such as a Garmin GTX 327 ($350-600) with a (example) FreeFlight FDL978XVRL with the TC978 control head (encoder built in) and wala! I highly recommend owner installations under the supervision of IA's with certificated aircraft if possible. Of course, experimental - install at will!

Assuming one would be using a tablet with a moving map program if your ADS-B system has wifi or Bluetooth. If out only, then the cost is thrifty.

Last edited:
Back