What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS site shutting down

aprs site

My understanding is that the aprs.fi site is provided by Google, and it's always been dependable for me. There is also an app for iPhones available on the Apple App Store.
Works great!

7/24 update: I stand corrected! Joe's site is very useful for aviators, and although I haven't used it before, I can see how it is more useful than the aprs.fi site, especially for aviators.

Last edited:
Joe has provided a wonderful resource over time with his APRS site.

For those that have not visited it, you might not understand why it is so significant for what it does. It is nothing like APRS.fi

Thanks to Joe, I have been made aware of high altitude ballons wandering around and even of a Russian pilot that seems to fly almost every day. It provided a way to find out if a friend was inbound or nearby.

Thanks Joe for what you have done for us, the work you did to provide the information that was unique to your site, and go enjoy that RV-8A!

Last edited:
Joe needs a vacation. He put so much of his time and money into this wonderful resource. Free for all of us I doubt there will be similar info laden database. Thank you very much Joe!

Joe has provided a wonderful resource over time with his APRS site.

For those that have not visited it, you might not understand why it is so significant for what it does. It is nothing like APRS.fi

Thanks to Joe, I have been made aware of high altitude ballots wandering around and even of a Russian pilot that seems to fly almost every day. It provided a way to find out if a friend was inbound or nearby.

Thanks Joe for what you have done for us, the work you did to provide the information that was unique to your site, and go enjoy that RV-8A!

I know it is bit late now...but I need education. What did Joe's nice site do that aprs.fi doesn't do?

By the way, I am using an Android phone app for tracking of the Fokker. I didn't want to go to the trouble of an APRS install in it, at least not yet.

Say it isn't so😢

Joe has a great site. Thanks for hosting and processing for all of these years. I love the format. Maybe someone else can pick up where joe leaves off.

For the curious, here are a few of the things Joe was able to do for the flying APRS community with his site ...

• 12 months of history
  • Filtered to be just 'flying things' (excluding the TARDIS)
  • Data available in both map view and Google Earth KML format
  • Lots of wibbly wobbly timy whimy code to correct 'out of order' packets
  • Organized APRS data into individual flights
  • Map of all active aircraft (I just tried this feature today)

The site did a lot more and it was unique to the flying community.

Last edited:
Agreed, Joe put in a ton of work on his site and I'm sure it required a lot of maintenance. It will be missed by those who used it regularly.

Fortunately, we still have at least one site (aprs.fi) that is very serviceable even though it tracks everything with a transmitter. The owner of the site continues to add code and refine it. I'm glad we have volunteers that enable us to enjoy APRS and the safety enhancement it provides.

My understanding is that the aprs.fi site is provided by Google ...[/I]

From what I can tell, there is not affiliation of aprs.fi and Google. The site title may be a bit misleading since it calls itself "Google Maps APRS". A tell-tail indication that Google has no involvement in the site occurred in 2015 when Google made changes to its map API and sites like aprs.fi were hobbled until they changed their code.

Both sites have been assets before and since.

Last edited:
I guess my understanding was wrong. Just shows you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. Thanks for setting me straight.

What a shame to lose this valuable, user-friendly resource. I certainly appreciate what Joe has done for our community and for all aviators with his well designed and reliable site. It has been very handy to distribute a link to his site whenever I am inbound to meet somebody, so that they know exactly where I am and when I will arrive.

Has anybody spoken to Joe? It would be awesome if he were willing to turn it over to somebody else to keep it going. Or maybe he could turn it into a paid site?

What a shame to lose this valuable, user-friendly resource. I certainly appreciate what Joe has done for our community and for all aviators with his well designed and reliable site. It has been very handy to distribute a link to his site whenever I am inbound to meet somebody, so that they know exactly where I am and when I will arrive.

Has anybody spoken to Joe? It would be awesome if he were willing to turn it over to somebody else to keep it going. Or maybe he could turn it into a paid site?

I exchanged some email with him. He said it wasn't about money, though there is expense. I gathered it just wasn't appreciated enough .

reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

It would seem there will be a life for all of Joe's hard work and contribution to APRS after August. He just changed the "end of life" banner.

from the linked website ...
"AirPRS ... the new home for the airplane tracking service you've enjoyed at mail2600.com"​

FYI: the actual text from Mark Twain was "the report of my death was an exaggeration".

That is great news.

I hope Joe realizes how much his efforts have been appreciated and I expect will be into the future.

Maybe this thread title should be changed!

Last edited:
appreciate the service

my wife and I really appreciate mail2600.com service and use it often. she gives it a lot of attention when my daughter is flying with me. what does that say about my flying? anyway, it gives her some peace of mind and that's priceless. thank you for this great service.

Considering how many times I went to the site while Vlad was flying around the country, it should have made the site owner a bunch of money if there was advertising. I would suggest he get a few advertisers on board and go from there! Like the old bumper sticker, "Nobody Rides for Free".

Thanks for keeping it alive.

Considering how many times I went to the site while Vlad was flying around the country, it should have made the site owner a bunch of money if there was advertising. I would suggest he get a few advertisers on board and go from there! Like the old bumper sticker, "Nobody Rides for Free".

Thanks for keeping it alive.

No advertisement, just a sponsor. I sent an email with no response...

No advertisement, just a sponsor. I sent an email with no response...

Joe has been incredibly busy and is "decoupling" from his APRS website. When we see the new site - AirPRS - start, you might send your suggestion to them.

I think the goal is to have AirPRS remain free but you are right, these things are not free and somone will be covering costs. If it gets too costly, we may lose the new site eventually.

Joe has been incredibly busy and is "decoupling" from his APRS website. When we see the new site - AirPRS - start, you might send your suggestion to them.

I think the goal is to have AirPRS remain free but you are right, these things are not free and somone will be covering costs. If it gets too costly, we may lose the new site eventually.

Thanks...So there will be a new site? If so, then why is everyone so sad?

Thanks...So there will be a new site? If so, then why is everyone so sad?

I know we were all a bit sad to hear Joe's site was being sunsetted. I'm looking forward to seeing the new site!

I suspect it won't be the same but as long as it has my favorite features ;) I'll be happy :D

I've been waiting to see the new site, but it's not up yet.

However, there is a 'teaser' on the home page ... this could be fun to watch :rolleyes:

img_5205-575x449.jpg

The top 10 lists are a cool feature.... and seeing Eagle's Nest Projects positioned #2(WI) & #3(TX) in the top ten number of flights and #5(TX) in total flight hours, well.... just warms my heart!

img_5205-575x449.jpg

Last edited:
Ernie - I had no idea those airplanes have trackers. That is serious cool to see how much they fly!

I guess the "EN" in the tail number should have given me a clue :)

Because Joe announced the new site after this thread was started. :) No longer sad!

Also because I believe Joe was sad that I think his site was taken for granted. Let's not do that anymore when people build stuff that benefits us and don't charge us anything.

Let's make a note to occasionally offer a "thank you" from time to time.

Maybe a dumb idea on my part, but if Joe feels unappreciated, what if all you guys using this sent him donations--- just like Dougie R.:cool:

Two years ago I was guilty of nearly stalling his site. There were so many enquiries about my tracker link from several web board. Slashdot effect or something like that.

Back