What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Klixon 7277-1 vs 7277-2

Abraham

Well Known Member
What is the difference between these two models? The documentation say 1 is auxiliary and 2 is standard. What does this mean.

Is the 7277 model the most used model number??

The 7274 is the standard aircraft model specifically designed for aircraft use, the 7277 is the commercial version. While many folks use the 7277 because its a few dollars cheaper I only use the 7274.

From CarbonBrush:

Klixon 7274 series are small, lightweight, low amperage devices that are specifically designed to protect aircraft/aerospace cable and components in airborne vehicles and equipment.
The commercial grade version of this circuit breaker is the Klixon 7277 series. The 7277 and 7274-2 series circuit breakers are physically and electrically identical, with the exception that the 7277 has wider calibration limits. Trip–Free The 7274 features a trip–free, indicating reset button and is available in standard ratings from ½ to 20 amps.

http://www.carbonbrush.com/klixon7274and7277.htm

Last edited:
I see the 7274-x has 4 different models. I only difference I can tell from the documentation is that one model has a longer pull handle. What am I missing here?

I see the 7274-x has 4 different models. I only difference I can tell from the documentation is that one model has a longer pull handle. What am I missing here?

Probably not much..... I would suspect they had a OEM they where needing to service that had slightly different needs.

Before you commit to spending $75 on a circuit breaker, search the forum for discussions on the merits vs fuses. I have one breaker for the Alt. Field.
Nothing else in my panel needs a disconnect that is not handled by a switch backed up with a fuse.

The difference between the "aviation" and the "commercial" product is in the MilSpec designation. Again, to hazard a guess, they throw them on the test bench and those that meet the MS get that designation. Those that don't become commercial. Just a guess. Bimetalic switches have inherently wide tolerances, one between the next.

I can not think of any reason to use the aviation version other than to say you have a MS breaker. Reading the specs, they are both going to do the same job, which is "gross" protection of the wire in the circuit in our simple electrical systems. However, they are the same price, so, go figure.....

Stein carries several well known brands, for much less. So, if your sold on breakers, and not stuck on Made in America, you can save some $.

NJ,
I have read most of the discussions and am going with CB's. If have too many choices it occupies too much of my time, arrgh.

Not much of a price difference between the 7277 and 7274.

Thanks for the explanation.

NJ,
I have read most of the discussions and am going with CB's. If have too many choices it occupies too much of my time, arrgh.

Not much of a price difference between the 7277 and 7274.

Thanks for the explanation.

No worries. They will work just fine, and yes, you can spend a lot of time making the many decisions presented as you build. Far better, and in the long run cheaper, to take your stance and move on it......
I did check the specs of the P&B equivalent and the Klixon "aviation grade" is slightly better in trip time, but only if you don't have a gross overload. That is base 25c test temp.

another klixon question

I seem to have lost the thin nut that attaches the Klixon to the panel.
for a Klixon 7277-2-5, does anyone know the nut thread-size? It seems like a very fine thread, I am hoping I can find it at a hardware store rather than buying a new circuit breaker.
Thanks.

found it

I just found out here that the part is MS25082-B18, which seems to be a 7/16-32 thread, 1/2" across, 3/32" thin washer.

Back