What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What?s your thoughts on a IPAD or tablet?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have a mini IPad first generation Retina display in my 9A. Looking to replace it with more storage.presently mine is a 32gig t- mobile without the cell service because the mobile comes with a GPS built in. Yep order the mobile unit get GPS and you are not required to by cell service. Seems other tablets in store now have a better screen and nit. What?s your thoughts?

Ron in Oregon

Without knowing your Electronic Flight Bag app of choice, this is a pretty tough question to answer since some apps are available for only one or the other of the operating systems, Android or iOS.

Glass cockpit.

New Verizon iPad mini 4 with 128 gig and Foreflight. Also Stratus 2 and ESG transponder. There are cheaper ways to do it but not better IMHO.
Maps, weather, traffic, ahars, flight plan filing...what am I forgetting?

My iPad Air2 running Foreflight and the Stratus 2 are my primary means of navigation. I have the cellular iPad with 64GB of memory. The cellular plan costs me almost $100 per month (f'n Verizon), but it comes in very handy for checking the weather in locations where there is no Wi-Fi. In retrospect, I'm not sure the getting the cellular version was worth it because you can find Wi-Fi just about anywhere these days. Also, leaving the cellular on really runs down the battery fast if I leave it enabled.

iPad 4 mini 128g (non-cellular, stills has internal gps) with Bad Elf external GPS and FltPlanGo. Canadian and US charts. I use this for flightplanning and situational awareness via moving map, aviation charts, airport diagrams, approach plates, frequencies, fuel prices and more. I love it.

Bevan

I use and like ForeFlight on the iPad but my gen 1 mini will soon not be supported by FF due to iOS and application changes.

I may opt for an Android device and go back to FlyPlanGo (free) as my flight planner since it also talks to my Dynon setup.

I use an iPad with cell data from Verizion which costs us an extra 10 dollars a month to share data with our cell phones. For us it is a no brainer as this way we have data available at the hanger all the time we are there. I post this because we have found out that many pilots at the port are/were not aware of the shared data cost being so inexpensive or available.

Get the same with 796 and/or GDL39

Garmin 796 and GDL 39 both are capable of feeding the GPS input to the ipad over bluetooth, can also feed the GPS from the iphone via bluetooth to foreflight and Garmin Flight.

Phone hotspot also doubles for the cell input when you want to check the weather in an area with no wifi.

For all the above reasons I got an iPad Mini 2 wifi 128GB refurbished from apple a few years ago and have not had any reason to regret the choice.

Lately I have been using my iPhone 6s+ on a magnetic mount on the panel more than the iPad and it appears a bit more readable than the iPad but that may be because it is under the lip of the dash.

I also found out recently that the phone GPS works in airplane mode so saves some battery life as it is not constantly searching for a cell signal.

Lots of options.
Figs

My iPad Air2 running Foreflight and the Stratus 2 are my primary means of navigation. I have the cellular iPad with 64GB of memory. The cellular plan costs me almost $100 per month (f'n Verizon), but it comes in very handy for checking the weather in locations where there is no Wi-Fi. In retrospect, I'm not sure the getting the cellular version was worth it because you can find Wi-Fi just about anywhere these days. Also, leaving the cellular on really runs down the battery fast if I leave it enabled.

Ditch the data plan, and use your phone as a wireless hotspot when you?re on the ground.

My very strong preference is to have things on the panel.

My older iPad worked fine in the shady Cessna with an empty seat beside me so I could put it down, but it was much less satisfactory in the RV-8. The two main issues were screen brightness (later models should be brighter and less reflective) and a tendency to overheat if left in the sun.

On the last long trip in the -8, I used a Garmin aera 660 with iPhone as a back up. Not sure I even took the iPad.

Ed

The Wi-Fi-only models DO NOT have a GPS chip. The Wi-Fi+Cellular models do have the GPS chip. This is because the GPS chip resides on the Cell chip.

But, you do not have to activate a Cell plan for the GPS chip to work normally. Here is a clip from the Apple Tech Specs website for the iPad Mini 4.

i-xtPv5mj.jpg

And don't be confused by "Assisted GPS". All this means is that Cell tower data is used to help the GPS to more quickly determine the initial position.

Use GPS from Stratux or Stratus -- or other device. I use Stratux.

Apple Iphone X with Foreflight connected via bluetooth to a Garmin GTX345 (ADS-B In/Out).

I favor my Garmin Aera 660 hard wired to my GTX 345.

That’s what Iam talking about! Your thoughts cover a lot of ground. Interesting point I just learned is T mobile offered folks over 65 years unlimited data,text,calls and two lines for $60 period! We just bought the plan and I learned that my new I-8 phone will serve as a HOT SPOT to my I FLY (adventure pilot) flight planning. Yep just tried it and the hot spot works with my IPad. Now Carl from Washington posted the “Apple insider.com/articles/18/...pleas-2018-ipad” GREAT VIDEO on those Apple products. Sounds like my iPad mini is a animal in Jurassic Park sorta speak. Strong but behind the curve compared to the other tablets. Considerations on both sides. Just maybe the OLED display for the mini might be a year away. Interesting thoughts on the GPSs in each of the units described. On another sad note, I just bought the GDL 50 ADSB portable last week and learned that GARMIN does NOT support the I-FLY app. Now us older generation here locally we become avid users of I-FLY because it’s so easy to use and all have the iPad minis,in our built 9As. So we share info on a regular basis. In one of the other posts here it sounds like the Stratus 2 is the remote ADSB unit I’ll now have to buy. Based on ALL the great info placed on this thread I’ll keep the mini Retina display and wait and see but buy the Stratus unit.
My question would be how does the Stratus work on IPADs? Or I should say functionally (Stratus) with your flight planning software app?

Much appreciated all!

Ron in Oregon RV9A io/320 Dynon Touch,Garmin GTR200,Anti-splat almost all,Vetterman & stein air.

Well, my wifi only (non-cell) Ipad tracks me on the moving map as I drive to the airport. This is without the external gps connected cause it’s left in the plane.

Bevan.

Last edited:
Bevan that’s the cell towers Iam thinking that do the tracking? Maybe I’ll do the hot spot off my iPhone while airborne and see how the weather is downloaded, all or part. I may have to wait a week because fronts are due off the ocean here in Oregon for showery Presip.

Ron in Oregon

Flight Cheetah

Anyone using a Cheetah Flight Pad 8HD? Please comment if you or someone you know is using the unit...

Thanks

Well, my wifi only (non-cell) Ipad tracks me on the moving map as I drive to the airport. This is without the external gps connected cause it?s left in the plane.

Bevan.

It doesn?t work reliably when airborne or when cell service is spotty. However the IPad with gps , I have found to be very reliable. I don?t have an external backup. My 2 cents.

The ipad mini 4 is my favorite of the ipad sizes.

With an armorglas anti-glare screen cover on it it is great in the cockpit. I've found the internal GPS to be great.

Unfortunately the online rumors are that apple won't be making mini ipads any more...

Bevan that?s the cell towers Iam thinking that do the tracking? Maybe I?ll do the hot spot off my iPhone while airborne and see how the weather is downloaded, all or part. I may have to wait a week because fronts are due off the ocean here in Oregon for showery Presip.

Ron in Oregon

But my IPAD is not Cell equipped.

Bevan

Ipad mini-4 ..but..

I have an Ipad min-4..cause I really like foreflight. Got it and foreflight before I had an RV. However.. many times in the RV its difficult to read in the cockpit when the sun is bright, and it overheats and goes dead from time to time. If you leave it in the cockpit when parked in the sun..it wont be working when you want to depart.. So I purchased the Ifly 740...and have it on a ram mount ..its very bright..sun can be directly on it and its readable. So it suffices well for a GPS to navigate with,(fly the magenta line) and it has more than enough features and data displayed. Never overheats, displays ADSB info, and, of interest to some, the data, like ground speeds and distance to waypoints and such are displayed in numerals much larger than the I-pad..(for older Eyes)
..Cant beat foreflight for easy flight planning tho..so it gets all the pre-trip planning and searching out airports..and goes along on the trips so the passenger can play around if he ..or she wants to.
I use the Ifly like an snazzier Garmin 296 I used for so many years on the panel.
I will say this..IF there was a better Tablet to display Foreflight..I would have only had to learn one EFB.

I just upgraded my non-cell 256gb ipad pro 9.7 with an ipad pro 10.5 512gb cell. I used BOTH Foreflight and FlyQ EFB by Seatle avionics for a year before ditching Foreflight and using FlyQ. I also use the MyClip on my thigh. https://www.amazon.com/MyClipKneebo...d=1523663196&sr=8-1&keywords=myclip+kneeboard

I mostly use a Stratux ADS-B for GPS, traffic and WX, but the internal GPS is nice on short flights.

I have a non cell ipad pro 256GB 9.7 w/some extras including Apple Care plus for another month or two for sale if anyone is interested. $450. PM me for more info. Will also work with the Dynon wifi dongle as a GPS source.

Last edited:
Just what we use.

We have a Garmin system installed. So we have blue tooth from two black boxes in the system. We found that an apple I-Pad air works very well on our left knee and our standard knee pad on the right side. Since we have Garmin for our panel we use Garmin Pilot in our Pad, and like both the screen and the G-Pilot application as well. There will be an Apple I-Phone later this year that will have a screen I think of 6.5 or .8 inches. That is just about the size of a Mini Pad, so we are looking forward to seeing how that may work for both a phone with Blue Tooth to head-set and the G-pilot installed in one of those.
A lot less weight in the flight bag with two in one.
Just what we have found and works well in the cockpit. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Before you upgrade, try using an external GPS if you can find someone to loan you one. If it works well, look at getting one, or buying/building a Stratux... ADS-B, GPS, and Attitude from one box. If it's placed on the glareshield or up high behind you in the baggage compartment, the GPS may get better reception than the tablet sitting down on your lap.

And, before spending the money on another year's subscription to Foreflight, give FltPlanGo a try. It's 100% free, and has most of Foreflight's functionality.

If I could have the "perfect" (for me) tablet

Since I can't go back in time to when there was less "office work" to do in the cockpit. For my taste, I would like to see Apple (or anyone else) come out with an iPad Pro in the size of the mini so it fits on my knee. It would have a very bright, non-reflective, laminated screen; use the pencil for taking clearances; have enough memory to store all charts onboard (plus a little extra) and it should have a white border (if any at all) to help resist overheating. Best would be to be more heat tolerant - period. 4G & GPS would be nice but not on the required list. Can always 'hot spot' the phone to it for the 4G and use a portable Bluetooth GPS if the 3 in the panel all die and stop 'talking' to the tablet.
IMHO, all current tablets have too much glare when used outdoors, some to the point of being useless. Many have inadequate memory and only a few have the ability to allow the user to write notes. That requires another "tablet" made of paper.
Been using Garmin Pilot and am happy with it but should have made the switch to Seattle Avionics when they had the lifetime data subscription offer. Spilled milk!

I checked several other models which also have GPS in their non cellular models.
I would go out on a limb and say that *most* Android tablets have GPS in their non-cellular models. In general, it's only Apple that restricts GPS to those with the Cellular option.

IMHO the Ifly 740B is a real airplane product. Can take all the heat and sunlight that you can give it and it still preforms well. I need bright daylight viewable, not sometimes useable. Drives an AP and has synthetic vision for under 500 bucks and cheap updates.

I just upgraded my non-cell 256gb ipad pro 9.7 with an ipad pro 10.5 512gb cell. I used BOTH Foreflight and FlyQ EFB by Seatle avionics for a year before ditching Foreflight and using FlyQ. I also use the MyClip on my thigh. https://www.amazon.com/MyClipKneebo...d=1523663196&sr=8-1&keywords=myclip+kneeboard

I mostly use a Stratux ADS-B for GPS, traffic and WX, but the internal GPS is nice on short flights.

I have a non cell ipad pro 256GB 9.7 w/some extras including Apple Care plus for another month or two for sale if anyone is interested. $450. PM me for more info. Will also work with the Dynon wifi dongle as a GPS source.
Brian
How is the iPad 10.5 pro visibility in sunlight, compared with your earlier 9.7 pro?
The 10.5 ipad is said to have a few more nits of brightness, but in real world use, any real difference?

Back