What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint question

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Is there any real difference between Imron, Jet Glo, or PPG paint. We are looking for a good durable paint that can handle the outdoors. I have been calling around for quotes to paint the plane. Prices have varied by a few thousand, so does the cost of the paint brand used vary significantly in price.

Currently working with Imron on a friends wheel pants. Great product now sold by most PPG automotive refinishing suppliers. The problem with single stage that I don?t like is the inability to sand out and buff any trash that gets in the paint, and it will without a professional paint booth. It is very durable though. I personally like the PPG base clear product for light GA aircraft. Much easier to perform simple hangar rash repairs and buffs to a mirror shine.

There are apparently two different IMRON products. One is rated for a wider temperature range (think flight levels) while the other, less expensive, is often used for painting boats. (heard it through the grapevine)

Something to consider while shopping. My plane is still bare but I plan to use the less expensive IMRON, when the time comes.

There are apparently two different IMRON products. One is rated for a wider temperature range (think flight levels) while the other, less expensive, is often used for painting boats. (heard it through the grapevine)

Something to consider while shopping. My plane is still bare but I plan to use the less expensive IMRON, when the time comes.

Another PPG product option similar to Imron is their Delfleet Essential.

It is very similar to Imron but far less expensive.

I painted my airplane with it for about $1000 total material cost.
oOi.jpg

Single stage systems don't have as many color options, nor are they as forgiving when fixing mistakes, but if cost is far more important than having a show plane paint job, it is a good option.

Another thing to consider is color, reds will cost a lot more than other colors for some reason .

Is there any real difference between Imron, Jet Glo, or PPG paint. We are looking for a good durable paint that can handle the outdoors. I have been calling around for quotes to paint the plane. Prices have varied by a few thousand, so does the cost of the paint brand used vary significantly in price.

If your paint shop uses paint from any of the the major brands, you probably won't notice performance differences. I'd pick the shop you like best and let them choose the paint family they prefer.

Paint

Also consider how easy is it to buy. Special orders? On line purchase? Are difficult. I took the class in Wichita and planned to buy Sherwin Williams, but it was not easily available. Plus remember there are accelerators, hardeners, cleaner, thinners, primers, etchers to buy also. I think I ended up with 14 different chemicals for 3 colors. And you should use one mfg systems of products because they are formulated to work together. My shopping for paint ended up at a car paint store. Guess what single stage urethane is single stage urethane whether for cars or planes. And cars see a similar environment as our airplanes. We don't go to 35K feet. Car guys have a huge eye for detail when it comes to paint. Even more than plane guys. So I ended up buying Nason Paint by Axalta (formerly Dupont). I could buy it locally and all the associated products needed. It went on slick and shinny.

Back