What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can we buy a new part # tagger for Vans?

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
This is silly but I honestly just spent 20 minutes getting those white paper price tags off all the leading edge ribs. It isn't a big deal when it is on the flange as I just used the scotchbrite wheel but when it is on the webbing and you aren't planning on fully priming it makes it a little more fun. I would gladly buy them a new option to tag parts so that they can be removed without so much effort and cussing.

+1 20 minutes is fast, I think I may have spent that long on each tag. OK, not quite, but that glue is persistent.

This is silly but I honestly just spent 20 minutes getting those white paper price tags off all the leading edge ribs. It isn't a big deal when it is on the flange as I just used the scotchbrite wheel but when it is on the webbing and you aren't planning on fully priming it makes it a little more fun. I would gladly buy them a new option to tag parts so that they can be removed without so much effort and cussing.

It was to be the hint to the builder that there is no need to prime all these parts. :D

Gently peel the tape and hit the glue remainder with acetone - nail polish remover. Should get your per tag time down to under 2 minutes. The polish wheel just smears that stuff around.

Gently peel the tape and hit the glue remainder with acetone - nail polish remover. Should get your per tag time down to under 2 minutes. The polish wheel just smears that stuff around.

This works if the paper holds together. When you are working on a part that was tagged a year ago you are hosed. Seems a more effective solution is to solve the problem at the source. We could cut Van's build times in half! :p

This works if the paper holds together. When you are working on a part that was tagged a year ago you are hosed. Seems a more effective solution is to solve the problem at the source. We could cut Van's build times in half! :p

LOL - you are gonna change Vans!!! - - - well, that is a LOT more difficult than removing a puny little sticker. You have a lot of learning to do. ;)

BTW - a little square of paper towel wetted with lighter fluid/naptha will sit on there for a while and make it slide right off. Do something else while waiting. Why kill yourself with acetone until you have to.

Tags

If it's on a flat part, I use a straight blade razor to slide under the tag and gently peel it off. New razor blade is key so it doesn't catch the metal. Then a paper towel wet with laquer thinner removes the glue. Usually only t?kes a minute per tag. On curved places I use a sharp plastic scraper. Leaves a little more to remove and it doesn't cut into the metal.

Just fyi - naphtha and other products that contain benzene are way more toxic than acetone. A quick Google will convince you.

Does the same job but less toxic.

I agree with the comment about naphtha, but mostly because aliphatic hydrocarbons are not good for you regardless as to whether they contain benzene.

Acetone or MIBK would be much better, but I think that acetone can impact your skin. Acetone will go right through nitrile gloves.

I would try nail polish remover that contains ethyl acetate. Smells better and is less toxic. I am not sure that you can get pure ethyl acetate from the hardware store. I have not tried it on removing the stickers.

Goo Gone

Just fyi - naphtha and other products that contain benzene are way more toxic than acetone. A quick Google will convince you.

Does the same job but less toxic.

I've been using Goo Gone for years. Works great and NO nasty chemicals. See

http://googone.com/Home.aspx

Don't confuse this with Goof Off. Goof Off's original formula is full of nasty chemicals. That said, they have introduced a newer product, similar to Goo Gone. I've tried them all and I like Goo Gone the best. The true test is removing a sticker from clear plastic, without clouding up or ruining the plastic.
Charlie

Goo Gone works well, but the Tidy Pen is faster and more efficient. The stiff felt applicator of the tidy pen forces the produt into the paper label which causes it to dissolve the glue much faster than using Goo Gone or Acetone. Also you do not have to worry about splatter, runs and excess waste of product when using the Tidy Pen.

amen bro, my question as i started removing my first labels was 'why are they the labels that are scored to resist shop lifting of store merchandise?'

i'll get a tidy pen

Back