What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron rigging?

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Trying to adjust the aileron push tubes using the jig? The ailerons appear to be too high. Most certainly will not line up with the wing tips if I belive the jig!
Anybody had this issue? :confused:

Jay,
I would have to check the drawings on Monday to be sure, but my memory tells me that you are supposed to rig the ailerons using the bellcrank and aileron neutral position jigs, and then with the aileron locked in that position, install the wing tip to match the aileron.

Two jigs

I have two jigs, one attaches to the aileron bell crank. Another one attaches to the tip rib in a tooling hole. The tip jig makes the aileron reflect up more than looks "right" ?

Wingtip

I have two jigs, one attaches to the aileron bell crank. Another one attaches to the tip rib in a tooling hole. The tip jig makes the aileron reflect up more than looks "right" ?

I installed the two jigs you mention simultaniously to hold the parts in place. I then split the trailing edge of the wingtip and made the tip match the aileron.

The RV-14 uses the same airfoil as the RV-10.
It is designed with a reflex in the flap and aileron position, so to anyone not familiar, it will definitely look like it is too much trailing edge up.
If you look at the wing tip from the open (inboard) side you will see the same shape change in the wing tip also.

I installed the two jigs you mention simultaniously to hold the parts in place. I then split the trailing edge of the wingtip and made the tip match the aileron.

If the directions are followed; to mount and align the aileron first using the templates, and then fit the wing tip so it aligns to the aileron, no cutting of the wing tip is necessary.

As an update
pg 23-10 Rev 2 has the new approved rigging procedure. This procedure does NOT use the tip Jig anymore.

Back