What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Route Pitot/Static thru Spar

sglynn

Well Known Member
Is there another place to route pitot/static thru spar box in fuselage of my RV-7A?
I need to route the pitot/static lines up to panel because I'm adding a Dynon D6 for backup and it requires them. Problem is all my wiring is done and the 4 holes thru the spar are full of wires. Is there another way to route the Pitot and Static tubes thru the wing spar in the fuselage? Static tube will go under the top ledge coming forward from rear. Pitot/Static come in from wing and need to split and go aft for ADHRS and forward for D6 EFIS.

I've been searching the archives and haven't seen a specific ideas for getting the two lines from behind the spar forward to panel. Can I come in under floor and then go up to under the arm rest or top rail?

Photos most appreciated.

In my 9A, I ran my lines under the top of the longeron. You have to cut or grind a bit of the side of the center section bulkhead so they will fit. Then I ran them down the sidewall and drilled 2 small holes through the armrest and seat pan. I put a coupling fitting to connect them to the lines from the pitot. If I were doing it again, I would use the real small and flexible lines. They run as easy as an electrical wire and will give you the same results as the bigger lines. You will need a junction fitting at the pitot if you are using a garmin, but worth it.

Good luck. Email me if you want a picture. Too much trouble to post here.

Holes thru bulk heads

Thanks
This last document Gil sent shows places I can drill a new hole. I had not seen this. Much appreciated.

Stiff as elephant hair, but submits to heat.

Hi Steve,

You can heat and bend that tubing too. It is tough to get it neatly routed if you don't. Try it on a spare end to get the feel of the bend radius. You will like it. I did some in place with a wooden radius tool down in a limited hand space location.

Back